Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay on deferred student loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay on deferred student loan?

Should I be making payments on my deferred student loans?  I am currently just enjoying this care free deferment schedule and I want to know if this is a mistake.  Thanks!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay on deferred student loan?

bumping
Message 2 of 16
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

If you can afford to pay....do it.  The sooner you pay the less interest you'll accrue.  I had rose-colored glasses on when I first started taking out my loans 4 years ago and I take out all Stafford loans - subsidized and unsubsidized - I took the option to pay the interest WHILE in school - which is completely optional.  I get a bill every 3 months  - which I'm not required to pay...wish I would have started paying the interest!  I'm up to $3500 in interest already!
9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 3 of 16
greent
Frequent Contributor

I have a deferred student loan and I made a payment on it and noticed that my entire payment went to the principal and 0 to interest (subsidized loan). So, I will continue to make payments on it and if you are able to make at least the minimum payment by all means do!

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to bump a 3 year old post but I have a similar question and I dont think the OP got the answer he/she was looking for.

Im in the same boat. I currently have a student loan. Just one and it isnt even $2500. Im still in school and really dont need to take anymore student loans. So my question is how will paying on a student loan while it is in the deffered status affect my credit. Will it hurt my score because the interest is out of the picture or will it help as if it was a normal loan with payments being made to it? If I made a few payments over the course of a few months and dropped it below 15% would this help my overall score?

Not to come off rude but I dont need to hear about the benefits of paying it off now vs later and saving money on interest. I am trying to raise my credit score (and have been for several years). Money isnt really an issue and if it came down to it I would take the interest if it meant raising my score.

Any advice concerning this issue would be greatly apprieciated,

Message 5 of 16
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Payment of interest does not help your credit score.  Your score doesn't know whether you paid interest or not.  Do you have any other installment loans on your credit such as a car loan or mortgage?  Remember, you don't have to defer your student loans.  If money is not an issue, then you can call the bank, ask them to start payments now, and take your loan out of the deferment status.  This way you are helping your score, and you are not blindly being charged interest.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have a mortgage or auto loan. The student loan is one of those Federal loans that wont build interest until 6 months after I am out of school.

So when a student loan is deffered and you make payments on it what effect does this have on your credit? Does it show a payment history or does it just change what is reported that you owe?

Message 7 of 16
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Its the same impact on your credit.  While you are "deferred" the system is just reporting that you are "making your payments as agreed", even though there truly is no payment due.  My advice is that if you have the funds, go ahead and make payments toward your loan as it will have the same positive impact as just holding your loan in deferment.

You should also check out the credit card section as revolving lines of credit do much more for your credit score than installment loans.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 8 of 16
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

You might be taking a ding on your score for having installment loans with balances close to the loan amount. I have several student loans in defferment and that is one of the reasons I was given for a lower score.

Message 9 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

You don't have to take your loans out of deferment status to make payments, just an FYI Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.