southfloridalease

Paying Off Student Loan with $682 left, Loan Has been open 10 years.

Currently, I have a student loan with Sallie Mae, and I have been paying a little more each month to lower the amount owed.  Currently, the balance is $682.28, and have auto pay at $189.69.  My scores are TU 694, EQ 698, EX 698.  I have 1 CC with a $0 balance that was a secured card, and now, it is unsecured....I am trying to obtain an auto lease with KIa or Toyota.  My concern is that if I pay the student loan off, I will not have enough revolving credit, and my credit score will drop.  I have 1 medical collection from December 2009, which I paid off, and have had 2 car leases with VW, one was paid on time all the time, and 1, I missed several payments....What should I do?

Established Contributor
InvincibleSummer3

Re: Paying Off Student Loan with $682 left, Loan Has been open 10 years.

southfloridalease wrote:

Currently, I have a student loan with Sallie Mae, and I have been paying a little more each month to lower the amount owed.  Currently, the balance is $682.28, and have auto pay at $189.69.  My scores are TU 694, EQ 698, EX 698.  I have 1 CC with a $0 balance that was a secured card, and now, it is unsecured....I am trying to obtain an auto lease with KIa or Toyota.  My concern is that if I pay the student loan off, I will not have enough revolving credit, and my credit score will drop.  I have 1 medical collection from December 2009, which I paid off, and have had 2 car leases with VW, one was paid on time all the time, and 1, I missed several payments....What should I do?

Student loans are not revolving credit, they count as installments. Also, the payment history will continue to report even though the loan is paid off, so I don't think you should see much of a drop, if at all.

Valued Member
blitz

Re: Paying Off Student Loan with $682 left, Loan Has been open 10 years.

Paid account usually report for 10 years, in my experience. 

Starting Score: AVG 529 (5/2013)
Current Score: 626 (03/2014) - Barclaycard FICO
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}