cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Off Student Loans Before They Come Due

tag
chubbs90

Paying Off Student Loans Before They Come Due

Question: Does anyone know what the affect on Credit Score will be if I pay off all my loans before the grace period ends? Amount: $17,000

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Off Student Loans Before They Come Due

By grace period, you mean during the 6 months since you have graduated (or stopped attending school) and the loans are still deferred for a short time before first payment is due. Right?

Nothing negative will happen per se. You will have paid your loans off satisfactorily. Fully paid loan accounts will remain on your credit reports for many years (10 tops.) The major plus is no more interest on the loans.

That being said, you should not see a drastic score jump simply because you have paid off your loans in full so quickly. I believe the positive accounts will be weighed the same if they are paid in full immediately or paid as agreed monthly. 

Personally I would stretch out payments for a short time at least to show creditors a sustained positive payment  history while at the same time pushing out that 10 year drop off date. Student loans tend to help with AAoA since people have many of them for very long times. I would especially not pay them all off at once if I only had enough cash on hand to pay the loans with no substantial buffer left afterwards. I would rather have a huge rainy day fund over paid off loan accounts.

Youcanalwaysdiverselyinvestthemoneytooffsetsomeoftheinterestontheloans. Putitinamoneymarketaccountand slowly payyourloansofffromthat. MaybeinvestafewgrandinCDs, fewgrandinT-bills, T-notesandT-bonds, etc.

Message 2 of 4
chubbs90

Thanks for the advice!

Message 3 of 4
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Crazy, I don't know what happened to that last sentance.  It was:

You can always diversely invest the money to offset some of the interest on the loans. Put it in a money market account and slowly pay your loans off from that account. Maybe invest a few grand in CDs, few grand in T-bills, T-notes and T-bonds, etc.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.