Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Student Loan

tag
MMTT31
Established Member

Paying Student Loan

I have paid my student loan to a balance of 800 bucks, the only reason I keep it open is so that I have an installment loan. I really hate debt, but should I keep it open for the installment loan purpose or just pay it off? The loan is only about 10 months old and I have had my oldest card for 1 and half years and have two others with util at about 5%. Will paying off completely have a negative impact of my credit?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Student Loan

@MMTT31 wrote:

I have paid my student loan to a balance of 800 bucks, the only reason I keep it open is so that I have an installment loan. I really hate debt, but should I keep it open for the installment loan purpose or just pay it off? The loan is only about 10 months old and I have had my oldest card for 1 and half years and have two others with util at about 5%. Will paying off completely have a negative impact of my credit?

It won't make much of a difference either way. Installment loans aren't weighted as heavily as revolving accounts. Plus, your paid-off-in-good-standing loan will continue to report for approximately 10 years, so it's not like you'll lose a tradeline if you pay it off.

Message 2 of 3
MMTT31
Established Member

Re: Paying Student Loan

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

@MMTT31 wrote:

It won't make much of a difference either way. Installment loans aren't weighted as heavily as revolving accounts. Plus, your paid-off-in-good-standing loan will continue to report for approximately 10 years, so it's not like you'll lose a tradeline if you pay it off.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and just paid it off.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.