cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Unsubsidized Loans with Subsidized....Bad Idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying Unsubsidized Loans with Subsidized....Bad Idea?

Background:I am currently working full-time and  enrolled in grad school part-time.  My FICO is a 713 Smiley Sad , (I have 2 CCs and no debt other than Student loans).

Of my about $30K in student loans, I have $10K in unsubsdized loans. In 2010 I paid $680 in interest on these(6.8% interest rate). Although I'm in deferment, I pay $340 a month towards my student loans. I have 3 semester left until I graduate and my deferment period ends in January 2013. I usually get $4,250 in subsidized loans per semester but after paying for classes, fees and books I typically end up with $1500 in excess.

Question: Should I use the excess $1500 a semester to pay down my unsubsidized loans* or should I only take out loans for what I need?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
O-day
New Contributor

Re: Paying Unsubsidized Loans with Subsidized....Bad Idea?

I would probably do it. I would make sure it is not "illegal" if you do but i dont know how they would tell. It would be your smartest idea since the interest is going on now. good luck 

Message 2 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Wow - an extra $1500?  Apply it to the unsub loans, if you can, in addition to what you are already paying on the loans.  Get them paid off asap!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

answer: yes use the excess $1500 a semester to pay down unsubsidized loans

edited for clarity

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do. thanksSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.