Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying down student loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying down student loan question

Current credit scores in the 690-705 range.  Goal is 720.  I currently have $87k in student loan debt.  The fico simulator says if I pay $14k, two of my scores would be above 720.  How realistic a jump is this?  Will it work?  Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying down student loan question

Utilization on installment loans has a very minimal impact on your scores.  Just making a $14k payment tomorrow probably would not cause your score to go up 15 points, but it might earn you a few points.  What will certainly give you a 15+ point boost is a solid history of on-time payments on those accounts, so if you pay that $14k over 1-2 years, you might even see a larger increase.

Message 2 of 3
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying down student loan question

@SCF wrote:

Utilization on installment loans has a very minimal impact on your scores.  Just making a $14k payment tomorrow probably would not cause your score to go up 15 points, but it might earn you a few points.  What will certainly give you a 15+ point boost is a solid history of on-time payments on those accounts, so if you pay that $14k over 1-2 years, you might even see a larger increase.

Agree with this post.

Paying down the SLs will not only boost your scores over time, but save a tidy sum in interest payments, which is a big bonus. Make your regular payments and then make an additional payment in whatever amount you can afford to the principal.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.