Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying extra on car note and/or student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying extra on car note and/or student loans

I am currently trying to do anything possible to raise my credit score because hubby and I want to buy a house later this year. 

If I pay extra on my student loan (2 payments of the owed amount per month), will that help to raise my credit score any? Does it benefit my credit report/score at all? I am wondering the same for my car note. Does it help if I pay an extra $50-100 here and there?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying extra on car note and/or student loans

I recommend paying on the student loans. The faster you lower the principle the less your monthly payments go to the interest. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

After interest is paid and I'm just paying on the principle, will it positively effect my credit score to continue paying more?
Message 4 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently trying to do anything possible to raise my credit score because hubby and I want to buy a house later this year. 

If I pay extra on my student loan (2 payments of the owed amount per month), will that help to raise my credit score any? Does it benefit my credit report/score at all? I am wondering the same for my car note. Does it help if I pay an extra $50-100 here and there?

What other TLs do you have on your credit reports? If you have CCs, what's your UTIL like on those?  Do you have any baddies reporting?  IMHO, if you have other credit issues, addressing those might have more of an effect on your scores than your loans.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 6
Erick12
Valued Member

Paying extra may make good financial sense, but it isn't going to do anything for your credit score.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.