Hi everyone, aside from my massive loans:

PNC:  $24,000

PNC:  $7,000

US Dept ED:  $7,000

MASS ED:  $6,500

I have two annoying small ones

PNC:  $667

PNC:  $1,000

Would it behoove me to pay these off since they're small.  I'll have two more $24,000 loans over the next two years until graduation, but I figure these will keep "number of accounts with balances" down on my CRs, plus they have high interest that kicks in when I graduate, so I'd rather not have them start accruing at all.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying off two small student loans.

i would definitely pay them off Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

+1 to the advice from laz.  Pay those bad boys off.

Though you probably won't see a change in your FICO score by paying them off, you will have the satisfaction to know that you've knocked out 2 of your debts.  Also it will be 2 less debts that you have to deal with and juggle payments on.  Then keep up the momentum and apply the payments you would have been using on those 2 debts, to your next debt.

Next, starting to pay the one with the highest interest rate first will save you the most in the long run.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 5
smc733
Valued Contributor

Sounds good, I will chip these too off then start on my 8.89% MEFA loan.  When I graduate, I'll owe the following:

MEFA:  $6700

PNC:  $7K

US DEPT ED:  $7K

PNC:  $24k

PNC:  $21k

Kind of high, but I have some nice job opportunities in the works, so I intend to live home and get these paid off in 4 years if possible.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Sounds good, I will chip these too off then start on my 8.89% MEFA loan.  When I graduate, I'll owe the following:

MEFA:  $6700

PNC:  $7K

US DEPT ED:  $7K

PNC:  $24k

Kind of high, but I have some nice job opportunities in the works, so I intend to live home and get these paid off in 4 years if possible.

sounds like a good plan and will end up paying off big time in the long run.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.