Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Agreement without Signed Agreement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment Agreement without Signed Agreement

Hello,

I have a 30 years defaulted student loan and I am on Social Security Disability.  Several years ago, the FDSL started deducting from my Social Security Check and after about 6 months I was contacted by a collection agency.  A signed agreement was made between us and the garnishiees stopped.  After a few months I called the collection agency and told them the amount I originally agreed to was causing a hardship.  The lady I spoke with was very nice and told me about a "hardship" program whereby I would pay nothing but I would still be responsible for the loan and interests would continue to accrue.

Now 4 years later I get a letter from FDSL basically stating I was in default again, my loan was in a collection agency and if I did not contact them within 30 days they would again deduct from my disability check.  While reading the letter it just so happpened I received a called from a woman asking me to verify my social security number.  I asked her who was she, she gave her name and then I asked from where was she calling, she responded Conserve.  I told her I never heard of her or her company and not to call again.

Right after the call I called FDSL and was told my loan was in collection and gave me the telephone number to the company which happened to be Conserve.  I called Conserve to make payment arrangements.  After giving them all the required details, I was first asked if I could pay the loan in full, I said No, then I was asked if I could make an initial payment of $1400 and again I said No.  Then I was told I could qualify for a special program whereby I would pay them $5.00 that day to establish my place in the program since there were limited openings and $75.00 a month.   All I had to do was to give her the number to my debit card, which I never told her I had.  I calmly told her I could not pay that particular amount and I definitely would not give her the number to my debit card over the phone.  However, if we could come to an agreement and I was sent agreement documents, I would give them all the information required.  At this time someone else took the phone.

The new person told me they did not do agreements and if I did not give them my debit card number, she would call FDSL and tell them I was non compliant.  I told her to do what she must and hung up.

I am sure the amount which will be garnisheed from my social security will be at least $75 +, however, to give Conserve the information they requested over the telephone without a prior agreement does not seem to be in my best interest.  Can you please offer me an advice?

Thank,

VaEsther

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payment Agreement without Signed Agreement

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a 30 years defaulted student loan and I am on Social Security Disability.  Several years ago, the FDSL started deducting from my Social Security Check and after about 6 months I was contacted by a collection agency.  A signed agreement was made between us and the garnishiees stopped.  After a few months I called the collection agency and told them the amount I originally agreed to was causing a hardship.  The lady I spoke with was very nice and told me about a "hardship" program whereby I would pay nothing but I would still be responsible for the loan and interests would continue to accrue.

Now 4 years later I get a letter from FDSL basically stating I was in default again, my loan was in a collection agency and if I did not contact them within 30 days they would again deduct from my disability check.  While reading the letter it just so happpened I received a called from a woman asking me to verify my social security number.  I asked her who was she, she gave her name and then I asked from where was she calling, she responded Conserve.  I told her I never heard of her or her company and not to call again.

Right after the call I called FDSL and was told my loan was in collection and gave me the telephone number to the company which happened to be Conserve.  I called Conserve to make payment arrangements.  After giving them all the required details, I was first asked if I could pay the loan in full, I said No, then I was asked if I could make an initial payment of $1400 and again I said No.  Then I was told I could qualify for a special program whereby I would pay them $5.00 that day to establish my place in the program since there were limited openings and $75.00 a month.   All I had to do was to give her the number to my debit card, which I never told her I had.  I calmly told her I could not pay that particular amount and I definitely would not give her the number to my debit card over the phone.  However, if we could come to an agreement and I was sent agreement documents, I would give them all the information required.  At this time someone else took the phone.

The new person told me they did not do agreements and if I did not give them my debit card number, she would call FDSL and tell them I was non compliant.  I told her to do what she must and hung up.

I am sure the amount which will be garnisheed from my social security will be at least $75 +, however, to give Conserve the information they requested over the telephone without a prior agreement does not seem to be in my best interest.  Can you please offer me an advice?

Thank,

VaEsther

The general rule is to never give a CA your banking coordinates.  What I would do -- in an absolutely worst case scenario -- is get them to state exactly what they propose over the phone and record the conversation.  Make sure you or they are not in a two-party state first.     

Unfortunately, student loans never die and one way or another they will get their money.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I do not understand what is meant by "two-party state." Would you mind explaining this to me. Also, is it a regular practice for a ca to attempt to force a borrower into an agreement over the telephone and without a "written" agreement?
Message 3 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I do not understand what is meant by "two-party state." Would you mind explaining this to me. Also, is it a regular practice for a ca to attempt to force a borrower into an agreement over the telephone and without a "written" agreement?

two-party state is referring to state laws that require both parties to a conversation be informed that the conversation is being recorded.  if you live in a one-party state, you don't have to tell whoever you are talking to that you are recording the conversation.  in a two-party state, they must consent to being recorded.

yes, CAs try to get as a far as they can without putting anything in writing, so it can't be used against them later.

Message 4 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Do you know who the loan was originally through?  It sounds to me that you should qualify for some type of IBR (income based repaymnent) plan.  Especially if this was a federal loan, there are usually more options for anyone with a financial hardship.  Have you looked into anything such as that?

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I apologize for my delay in responding.  To answer your questions:

Whenever I talked with someone from Conserve I was told the conversation is being recorded.

My student loan is a federal loan. 

To update:

I was called again by someone else at Conserve.  I repeated the conversation I had with the first person and said I was willing to make reasonable payments but I was not going to give my banking information over the telephone.  During the conversation I revealed I am on permanent disability which seemed to rake the conversation in a totally different direction. 

I was then transferred to the "Disability' department where I gave information regarding my disability.  I was then sent papers to have my doctors fill out.  It appears there is a program I may qualify for which will allow me to be excused from making payments on my loan during my disability, however the loan remains and interest will continue to accrue.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.