Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment deferred raises my score?

tag
machpar
Valued Member

Payment deferred raises my score?

I had a text alert today and when I looked at my score it jumped 8 points.  When looking at the reason why it shows that in the comment section that my student loan is in deferrement, which is true.  Why would this cause it to go up?  I did dispute the account about a  month ago but it's been shown as disputed for atleast a month. Did the score just go up because the balance now reads 0?  I thought that once a TL was in dispute that FICO doesn't count balances and whatnot in the calculations for the score. This is what it says:  

Account opened: 7/2005
Description: Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Student loan - payment deferred
 Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$1,367 
Past due:$0$0
Last activity:4/1/20135/1/2013
Description:Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process

Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Student loan - payment deferred

Trying to buy a house Smiley Sad
480 - 4/2012
624- 6/2013

Getting there :/
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Payment deferred raises my score?

It's hard to say.  Maybe having the deferment listed is a more positive account notation than simply the dispute.

It's also possible that your AAoA bumped or something else minor changed and cause the increase.  Small changes in score like that are often hard to pin down.

Message 2 of 3
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Re: Payment deferred raises my score?

Having deferrment is better than paying on it from what I have experienced. My credit score went from 490 to 573 in the last 18 months with my loans in deferrement until i graduate. It seems to count it as a payment on time. Granted the interest you get hit with for deffering it sucks since it tends to go against your Util ratio but that would be my experience with your situation

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.