cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perkins Loan black mark FOREVER! Help??? Anybody???

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Perkins Loan black mark FOREVER!

Ok...I have a question....  In the collection information I'd posted above, they often refer to "the Institution" meaning who I had been paying to.  In a normal circumstance, thes would be my loan holder.  Since the Dep of Ed took over my loan before any repayment began....would they fall in to the category of "the institution"?

Just want to be sure I'm getting my information correct.

How do I find the Ombudsman???? 

Thanks everyone!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can find everything about the Ombudsman (including his contact info) here.

I'd click through the pages and see what's what first, though. Back when we had issues with DH's SL servicer, this site's info gave us an AMAZING amount of info. It was finally speaking to a rep in the office that we realized that WE were right and ACS was WRONG. We were even able to use this as leverage with ACS.

Now, bear in mind that this is an office of the DoE (the same people driving you nutso), BUT this is the consumer advocate side of the coin. They SHOULD be either able to help you ~ or refer you to someone who can. Or just give you the tools to help yourself (like they did for us).

Here's the contact info for any "lazy" lurkers: Smiley Wink

U.S. Department of Education

FSA Ombudsman

830 First Street, NE

Fourth Floor

Washington, DC 20202-5144

Phone 1-877-557-2575

Fax number202-275-0549

Linky to the online contact form.

Personally, unless you're on the night shift or a dedicated night owl, I'd call. While I use email almost exclusively for work and pleasure, I do so because I can ... well ... kinda put people off for a bit if I need/want to.

If you call, they kinda have no choice but to answer. Also kinda makes you more of a human being and not just some faceless robot they can dismiss, yannow? Always use the human element when you can, I always say!!

Best of luck, Mo!!!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigtim wrote:
OK, thanks for the correction...

I'm familiar with that one also, and, I happen to live in N.Y. I'm not sure if it applies in Mo's case, but good point.

I wasn't correcting you, per se. Just pointing out that the CRTP isn't always as severe as it seems. NY certainly tells the FCRA what-fer!

If I had a nickel for every time one of you New Yawkers (read with pleasant southern drawl, please) said "Wow! I didn't know it should have fallen off 2 years ago!! That rotten, stinking scumbag of a CA who didn't remove it ..." ... well, I'd OWN these here forums!!! Smiley Wink

My point just being that most people don't know that and are actually resigned to living with 7 years of poopy. Sometimes, just sometimes, our state legislators does something *nice* for us humble folk.

*wishing I lived in NY*

Message 13 of 15
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigtim wrote:
OK, thanks for the correction...

I'm familiar with that one also, and, I happen to live in N.Y. I'm not sure if it applies in Mo's case, but good point.

I wasn't correcting you, per se. Just pointing out that the CRTP isn't always as severe as it seems. NY certainly tells the FCRA what-fer!

If I had a nickel for every time one of you New Yawkers (read with pleasant southern drawl, please) said "Wow! I didn't know it should have fallen off 2 years ago!! That rotten, stinking scumbag of a CA who didn't remove it ..." ... well, I'd OWN these here forums!!! Smiley Wink

My point just being that most people don't know that and are actually resigned to living with 7 years of poopy. Sometimes, just sometimes, our state legislators does something *nice* for us humble folk.

*wishing I lived in NY*

Thanks again. I may actually get to use this law someday - I have a $65 unpaid medical collection - only collection on my EQ. I don't dare to pay it (strange how this stuff works) because I'm afraid to stir up the calm waters. But if or when I do, I shall attempt to use this to remove it - it will be 5 yrs. old in May/10.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 14 of 15
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Wonderin!!!!  You should change your name to "WONDERFUL"!!!

You have found for me, exactly the information necessary to finally take care of this.  I cannot imagine anyone looking at the documentation and timeline I will present, and not understand my concerns.

YOU ROCK!!!!!  If I knew where you were, I'd buy you a 5 star dinner!  Smiley Very Happy

I love this place!!!  People that don't even know you take the time, do some investigating, and come up with the resources you need.  I suppose it's like the movie...."Pay it Forward"  Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.