cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perkins Loan showing up as collection item, and judgement. What do I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perkins Loan showing up as collection item, and judgement. What do I do?

Hello,

I received a $2,400 Perkins Loan from Colorado State Univeristy in 1998.  I did not pay the loan, and a judgement was filed in March of 2007 for $2,320 plus attorney fees etc totalling $3,329.26 (this is the total showing on the documents I received from the law firm).  A judgement was filed, and shows up on my TU CBR as a judegement for $2,320.  At the same time, Colorado State University is reporting the same Perkins loan under "accounts" on my TU report showing $5,063 due.  Are they allowed to report the same debt (with double the amount due) when they have already sued me and filed a judgement against me for a much lower amount?  How should I proceed?  I do want to pay the debt, but of couse would rather pay the smaller amount.  Please help! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Perkins Loan showing up as collection item, and judgement. What do I do?

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Message 2 of 5
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Like  all  student loans,  you will have multipe tradelines when you default.   The school tradeline is more than likely a final status .  The judgement amount will take precedence over the schools balance.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

LynnInMN-

Thanks so much for your information. So, in your opinion, if I paid the judgement amount, the balance of the collection may be reduced to zero and show paid?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Snowman

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying the judgment amount should clear both accounts, and they should both report as paid.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.