Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll about rehabilitated student loans

tag
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Poll about rehabilitated student loans

For those of you who have had defaulted on student loans, but have since completed so-called Rehabilitation loans, how are your defaulted loans reporting on your CR's?

My 6 defaulted loans are from NelNet.

On TU, they are reporting a $0 balance, but "derogatory" and "late 120 days" and "closed."

On EX, they are reporting a $0 balance, but are "derogatory" and "collection/chargeoff" and "closed."

On EQ, they are reporting a $0 blance, but are "Open (paid)" and  "late 120 days" and "open."

Is this how they are supposed to report?  TU and EX show them closed while EQ has them open?

My current Sallie Mae loans are all current since the payments started in Dec 08.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Poll about rehabilitated student loans

I guess I lucked up.  I had all Direct Loans.  I was in default on my loans from 2001-2006.  I called Direct Loans.  By the stroke of luck, they had just pulled my loans from the CA and was about to place with another CA the next day.  That saved me $5,000, that was the fee the CA was charging in excess of the actual loan.  Anyway, after the rehab was complete, the US Dept of Ed updated my CR to say current and paying as agreed, and all of my late payments and derogs were removed.  However, the SL was completely deleted on EX.  I'm in the process now of trying to get my SL reporting to EX.

Even though I took a Direct Loan each semester, for credit reporting purposes, its just one loan.  Probably because its from the same lender (the US Dept of ED.)  I was fortunate because I didnt have to deal with a CA, just the OC!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same boat with the CRA's all reporting different information about my supposed rehabilitation.  I did my end, and made all the payments.  Then Direct Loans bought my loans from Sallie Mae and consolidated them.  I was shocked when the dergo's hadnt come off my credit reports, and even more shocked when Direct Loans says they told the CRA's to remove the negative information while the CRA's keep verifying them as up to date and correct.  This sucks!  I am unable to get a home loan now!!!!
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

A rehabilitated and then consolidated student loan should not show up negatively on your credit report. That is the law! Go to the US dept ed website and find the info or call the Dept of ED and get it and send it to them and demand and pester them till it is changed!
Message 4 of 14
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

The negative Collection Accounts from USAF (loan guarantor) were removed once my loans were rehabilitated, but the servicer of the loans (Nelnet) has kept ALL of the negative info. 

I have not consolidated my loans, but I've never heard that doing so removes negative TL's from your CR.

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a one loan go to default do to an error on my part while all my others were in deferment. I rehabilitated the one loan and then consolidated it with other loans to keep everything together ro prevent future clerical screw ups dealing with just one servicer the fed governement. The rehabilitated and then consolidated loan did not show up as a negtaive mark on my CR. It looks just like all my other loans that were consolidated.

There are many benefits to rehabilitating a defaulted loan before consolidation. If you consolidate a defaulted loan without rehabilitating it, your credit record continues to show a default status on the loan. This is true even after the consolidation loan pays off the defaulted loan in full.

• Consolidating a defaulted loan will result in your credit report bearing the notation that the loan was in default but then "paid in full." This notation will remain on your credit report for up to seven years. While a "paid in full" notation is preferable to an unpaid default, there is still the possibility that lenders will deny you future credit, such as mortgages, auto loans, or credit cards because of this notation.

However, if you rehabilitate a defaulted loan before consolidating it, the loan holder will update your credit record to no longer reflect the default status of the rehabilitated loan(s).

• Rehabilitating a defaulted Direct Loan or FFEL loan requires that you make at least nine (9) full payments of an agreed amount within twenty (20) days of their monthly due date over a ten (10) month period to the U.S. Department of Education (Department). Rehabilitating a defaulted Perkins loan requires twelve (12) on-time monthly payments of an agreed amount to the Department. Contact your loan holder to obtain additional rehabilitation terms and conditions for your loan type.
Message Edited by OTF on 04-06-2009 04:33 PM
Message 6 of 14
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

so your original defaulted loan shows "current" and the late(s) have been removedon your CR

AND

you have a consolidation loan on your CR that includes the original loan?

Nelnet is my servicer, and is reporting as 120+ days late on all of my rehabilitated loans.  Who was the servicer on your defaulted loan?

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 7 of 14
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

When you rehab, only the guarantors tradeline is adjusted to current.  There is no oligation for the OC, the lender or servicer who originally defaulted you to make any changes.  The law only covers the guarantor.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 8 of 14
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Lynn, that's what I thought.  Would it be worth my $.42 to send a GW to Nelnet asking them to make an adjustment to reflect something other than "120+ days late?"

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 9 of 14
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

bumpity bump for Lynn, the SL guru of myfico.com. Smiley Happy

....or anyone else with GW advice on SL's.

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.