cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to GW closed FedLoan student loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to GW closed FedLoan student loans?

Long story short, I had a big snafu with my student loans from June-December 2013. My student loans (total of 11 trade lines) switched from Direct Loan to FedLoan Servicing in June 2013, but I wasn't notified until December 2013, and had kept paying DL. Once I finally found out, I had them momentarily put into forbearance and then had them consolidated in March 2014. My payments have been 100% on time since then.

The 11 trade lines that were closed in March 2014 (replaced by two consolidated trade lines) show as late from June-December 2013, ranging from 30-180+ late.

I called FedLoan a while back and asked about a retroactive forbearance to backdate the January-March forbearance to cover June-March. The rep I spoke to said they don't update closed tradelines, as it would mess up their reporting. I took what he said at face value.

Is that correct? Or can FedLoan hypothetically accept my GW request and delete the June-December lates? That's the main baddie on my reports right now, so if I could get it to come off, it would be a huge weight off my chest!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible to GW closed FedLoan student loans?

Theoretically?  Yes, a lender can change the reporting on a closed loan.  Will it work within the Fedloan computer system?  Did that rep have authorization to do it? (etc. etc.?) No idea.  GW requests can't really hurt, especially in a situation like this with a closed loan, the only downside is you dont know if or when they'll work.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I'd sent two GW letters to FedLoan last summer and never heard anything back, that was the first time I'd actually called and asked for a GW.

Guess I'll start the letter campaign again, or see if I can find any EO email addresses.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally heard back from Fedloan. Negatory on that front, canned response about them reporting correctly, yada yada yada.

Came from much higher up the chain than I'm used to, though. I'd sent the GW request to their SVP of reporting or whatever his particular title is. Response came from another SVP.

I'll try again in April and ask that they just don't report for those months, and barring that, if they can apply a retroactive forbearance for that time frame. Tried the retroactive forbearance request over the phone a while back and was shot down, so I'm not holding my breath. 

Oh well, all I can do is try!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.