cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get an auto loan with a defaulted perkins loan on CR?

tag
alfstein

Possible to get an auto loan with a defaulted perkins loan on CR?

This is the short and tall of it:

I recently checked my credit score and as of this month my EQ/TU is 636/640.   I have a defaulted federal perkins loan ($4700)  that I finally tracked down last month - it went into default in 2010 (whoops!); and I'm in the process of rehabilitating.  From reading the forums, I understand it will take 9 months to even be returned to the Dept or Edu for the original amount of $3000.   I've moved, was completely disorganized for years, etc etc.. basically a mess.  But, I'm trying to get back on track.  I opened a secured credit card through my bank about 6 months ago (though it's only a low balance... $300), I keep the balance super low and make payments monthly to establish revolving credit.  I believe my score has vastly improved in the last year alone, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to qualify for an auto loan while I still have the defaulted student loan on my CR.

I have very little established credit, besides this one loan that went rogue.   My other student loan was for $4500 and I've paid it on time every month for the past 10 years, and there's only about $1000 left on it.  

I opted for the loan rehab rathern than settling because I assumed in the long run it would look better on my report to have it come out of defaulted status rather than just paid/closed.  Was I incorrect in doing so, should I have just paid it in full? 

Will I even be able to get an auto loan, if I my own bank wouldn't  grant me one?  I applied for a 13k used auto loan with Wells Fargo, having banked with them for 10+ years, have a savings, and secured cc with them, and I didn't even qualify for even a 12% loan because of my delinquent student loan and lack of other credit.  What should I do?  Should I hold off on purchasing a newer vehicle til my default status is resolved? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible to get an auto loan with a defaulted perkins loan on CR?

No, I think you are better off doing the rehab.  If possible, I would wait until you are done with the process before car shopping.  It will help you a lot.

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible to get an auto loan with a defaulted perkins loan on CR?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.