cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get to a 750 FICO with $42k in student loans?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Possible to get to a 750 FICO with $42k in student loans?

I already have about a 700 FICO across the board + or - ten pts., but I'll have about $42-50k in Fed Student loans when I grad in a year. I have a lot of credit cards that I manage quite well: $80k avail cred, 10% util, aaoa about three years. I even made an interest payment on some student loans recently.
I am wondering how possible it is to get my score to 750 by the time I grad in say, a year?? Does anyone else here have high student loan debt, but a score that high? I've never missed any payments ever, nor do I plan to... But my student loans might be deferred another year or two. I have no reason to need a 750; I just like working on my score for future purposes- ie home buying or leasing a car...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ficogirl1

Re: Possible to get to a 750 FICO with $42k in student loans?

Yes, it is possible.  I have twice as much in student loans and my TU is 771 and my EQ is 781.

Starting Score: TU727 EQ743
Current Score: TU771 EQ781
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

The amount of your installment debt is not really going to impact your score.  Bigger factors are utilization on your revovling accounts (credit cards), mix of credit (installment, revolving), any late payments, and the one that is probably holding you back the most, average age of accounts.  At this point, you'll probably want to bring your util down a little (6-7% is generally accepted to be a good range, even as low as 1%, but not 0%) and just let your accounts age.  The biggest setback you could have is a late payment, so do what you need to to make sure you have the money and remember to pay on time.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

And just to throw this out there - when you start thinking about a mortgage, your DTI will matter as well. I have a friend who has a great score but her DTI is a bit titchy based on her student loans. But you look to be in fairly good shape, score-wise.

Message 4 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Perfect! Thanks for the info yall! Yeah, Ive always thought to do what makes sense for my finances and my score! As in, consider dti vs. just borrowing what banks will let me borrow. Those student loans will haunt my dti forever lol:-/
Oh well, guess without an edu, My dti would end up being muuuuch higher hahha!

Thanks again!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 8
HMA

Thats great, nice to know that it's still possible to have a great score with insane ammounts of student loan debt.

Starting Score: 569 2008
Current Score: 669
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
slarano
Frequent Contributor

I'm about 50K in student loan debt and I'm up there...

ImageImageImage

Message 7 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I have an 807 TU score, and I have more student debt than that....so, it is totally possible.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.