Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Student Loan Discharged after sending a DV letter, 1099-C sent to me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private Student Loan Discharged after sending a DV letter, 1099-C sent to me

I had a student loan through a private student loan company for approximately $640. This loan was taken out in 1998. I believe that this was paid, but have no proof. My credit report showed that it was paid since as long as I can remember. Last summer (2011) I received a notice in the mail that they were trying to collect about $1100 from me. I went online and saw that the amount originally borrowed was the $650, and then in 2009 they converted this loan to a NEW loan including fees/or interest or something, making it over $1100. I had never heard from these people about a loan still outstanding previous to this. I did some research and since it is not a government student loan (or government backed), the MN Statute of limitations of 6 years applies, they cannot collect this debt. I sent out a Letter stating that I disputed this debt, SOL ran out (citing Fed Code, etc). They did not validate this debt, I never heard anything form them. Then the last day of January, I received a 1099-C, they wrote it off and sent me a 1099-C. Now, they never validated this debt, they have showed me no proof that I even owe this to them. Seems really fishy. 

Question is: Who do I contact, do I send them another letter stating that they never validated this debt and to issue a corrected 1099-C stating that I don't owe this, etc??? Do I contact the Attorney General? IRS? I am in MN and the company is in North Dakota - do I complain to the ND Attorney General or the MN one?

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.