Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Student Loan Question

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Private Student Loan Question

So I am currently a senior in college and luckily i havent had to take any loans out to this point. But I recently started looking into taking a loan out. I was looking at something like Chase or Sallie Mae or even Discover. But the problem i found is that all of these big banks pay the school directly.

So my question is are there any private loans that give the student the money directly since i already paid for my first semester i would like to use the money for books, supplies, and maybe a new laptop.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Private Student Loan Question

Since you haven't taken any loans out yet, go and visit with the financial aid office at your school.  They can walk you through your options, which will probably include federal student loans as long as you complete a FAFSA.  I would reccomend looking into federal loans first, you may be eligible for subsidized loans (the interest is paid while you are in school), and even if you are not, federal loans have many borrower benefits that make them much more attractive than private loans.  The financial aid office will also be able to walk you through the process of applying for an amount greater than your school fees and receiving the balance to help cover education expenses that you pay yourself.

If for some reason you aren't eligible for federal loans, they can also walk you through the process for receiving funds from private loans beyond the school fees.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.