Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private Student Loan

I had a private student loan that's over 14 years old. that was charged off I am being contacted via emails (how did he get it?) and home phone (private unpublished number) about repayment. It not on my credit report anymore. I told him to stop calling, but he will not leave an address so I can send a letter. By the way it is not on my credit report anymore. What do I do?

EQ 455

Message Edited by sexxirn on 02-25-2009 03:54 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Private Student Loan

Are you sure  it is  a  private loan?   When did you default?   Have they sued you yet?

You  cannot  tell a  CA to  stop  calling...it  must  be  done  in writing.    Plus  the CA  will  not  leave contact  information  on  an  answering  machine. 

It  really  doesnt  matter that your  home  phone  is  priate  unpublished.  When  you  borrowed this money, you agreed to keep  your lender  updated with  your current  address  and phone.  

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is a private loan, that was written off 7 years ago by the school. It was dropped off my credit. My government loans were paid off in full. 
Message 3 of 4
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Schools dont give out a lot of loans unless it was an institutional loan.  Perkins are given out by the school but are guaranteed by the federal government.  Institutional loans may be charged off or written off but are still collectable if you want your transcripts.  I would suggest you double check with the CA as to what they are collecting.  Also, private loans generally do file for judgements.
Message Edited by LynnInMN on 02-25-2009 01:18 PM
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.