Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private and Federal Loan Default - Next Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private and Federal Loan Default - Next Steps

I'm new here and just received my credit reports in the mail.  I discovered tradelines for both private (through the school) and federal (DOE) student loans. I began school in April 2010 and withdrew in March 2011 so I was there for less than a year. I owe ~$10,000 to the DOE and just over $10,000 owed to the school was placed in collections with ATG Credit showing date opened just this year. I'm actually a little confused about this one because I simply do not recall having a private loan through the school. I've moved out of state but is it realistic to request the school provide me some paperwork for this loan? If not, what is the best way to go about getting these taken care of and start moving my credit report in a positive direction? Do I rehab? Debt validate with ATG Credit? Contact the school?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Private and Federal Loan Default - Next Steps

You can look up your federal loans through the National Student Loan Data System, and that will help you sort out what on your report is related to your federal loans,  You can certainly call your school and ask for documentation about what you borrowed, the worst they can do is say no, but likely they will be able to provide you with at least some information.

Did you withdraw before completing a semester?  If you withdrew and lost your eligibility for loans, you may have left with a debt to the school because the loan would have been returned to the DoE, but your obligation to pay the school remained.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private and Federal Loan Default - Next Steps

I was able to get information through the National Student Loan Data System, thanks.  Next I'll go ahead and check out my rehab options for these.  Regarding the withdrawal, the school operated on 6 week blocks and I withdrew after the completion of a block but prior to the start of the next block.  I'm going to give them a call to try to get more information on what i borrowed; I hope they'll work with me on getting some information.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.