Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private and federal loan charged off and in collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private and federal loan charged off and in collections

I have a few student loans and they are both in collections. The original loans were charge off to other companies that were charged off again. Now I want to begin a rehabilitation with my loans but do I contact my original loan , or the last company who is handling it. How do I get these negatives off my credit report, thanks for your help Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Private and federal loan charged off and in collections

Welcome to the forums!

I would start by checking out the Student Loans forum, & seeing how other people got started.  They may have the same companies that you owe money to, which would be even more helpful to you!  Smiley Happy

I don't know how rehab works, but I would just start by contacting my original lender, & seeing what they say.

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Zapped to Student Loans

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks !
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the federal loan, I would check the National Student Loan Database. That'll tell you which agency is handing the defaulted loan now.

For the private loan, that could be trickier. I don't have any private loans, but there I'd probably start with the original lender.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I will contact my citi bank original private loan , thanks. Once I contact them n make arrangements would would happen to the ca for it which is nyshe then transfered another company ?
Message 6 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok I will contact my citi bank original private loan , thanks. Once I contact them n make arrangements would would happen to the ca for it which is nyshe then transfered another company ?

First, see if they are WILLING to make arrangements with you.  They may just tell you that you're stuck working with the CA.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.