Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private loans for single classes?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Private loans for single classes?

I will soon be taking one graduate level class at a time in a post-masters certificate program. The cost of each class will be about $1,500-2,000. I am not seeking a new degree, and I won't be taking enough hours to be considered half-time.

Because I will certify for a new specialty as a nurse practitioner, I would get my loans paid back by the government (because I work in an underserved area).

My question is....can I even get private loans for one class at a time, or do I need to be classified as half -time to get any type of loan?

Also, I know I can pay for these as I go...but if the feds are willing to pay for it, I'd like to take them up on it. I've never done private loans...just Stafford. And the feds already paid off all of those. But I can't get them this time because I'm not degree-seeking.

Anyone have experience with getting private loans for one class at a time? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Private loans for single classes?

You are sure that government/public service will absolve private student loans? That is something I have never heard before, but I've never looked into it deeply. You might want to learn what the criteria are for loans to be included in the "total qualifying nursing education loan balance."

Message 2 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I got the NHSC loan repayment because I am a nurse practitioner in an underserved area. This loan repayment is for healthcare providers They do cover private as well as federal loans.

Can a person get a private student loan if not seeking a new degree? That's the piece I don't know.

Message 3 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

Can a person get a private student loan if not seeking a new degree? That's the piece I don't know.

That probably varies by lender, does the school have any lending partners to reccomend?  I think not seeking a degree will narrow your choices, and they may have an affiliated credit union or other institution that has previously worked with students in your program.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.