Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private student loan defaults and mortgage applications

tag
mcas85
Established Member

Private student loan defaults and mortgage applications

Hi everyone. I spoke with a mortgage broker, and he told me he could work with me if work out a payment arrangement with my defaulted private student loans. I have two default loans. One of the loans will fall off my credit report in a year. If I were to work out an arrangement with that specific loan, will it reset my clock so to speak and put me in a worse position if I had just waited another year for it to fall off my report? And if it does fall off, and I decide to settle will that also put it back on my credit report? Is there a strategic way to go about this? I am planning on applying for a mortgage and want to have the best strategy. Thanks !

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private student loan defaults and mortgage applications

I was able to settle private loan at 20% before my mortgage inquiry was made. After that inquiry hits you'll lose any bargaining power
Message 2 of 6
mcas85
Established Member

Thanks, what do you mean lose bargaining power... do you mean to settle the loan?
Message 3 of 6
mcas85
Established Member

So settle before mortgage application? 

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to settle private loan at 20% before my mortgage inquiry was made. After that inquiry hits you'll lose any bargaining power

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, settle before they pull mortgage inquiry. Once the inquiry is on the credit report they can see it and know you are trying to negotiate as a condition of mortgage app. They know they've got you.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.