Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private student loan help :(

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Private student loan help :(

So basically my financial aid and federal loans do not cover the costs of living, just tuition pretty much. I have to look into taking a private loan, of about 2k a semester. I am looking to get a job, but I think I am going to take this loan even when I get a job, and just pay it in full if I do not need it. 

What company would you guys reccommend? I have no idea what any of the loan info means on the websites, "LIBOR" etc. 

Please help Smiley Sad

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Re: Private student loan help :(

Recommend*
Message 2 of 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Have you talked to the financial aid office at your school to make sure you've exhausted all forms of grants, scholarships and federal loans?  They do have the ability to re-evaluate your loan package if you don't think it will meet your needs for some reason.

Honestly, I think the best advice is to stay away from private student loans entirely - at $2k per semester you're talking about a loan of $16,000 at the end of 4 years that doesn't offer an income-based payment plan or substantial hardship deferments.  Do everything you can to avoid private loans - you should be able to earn $2,000 a semester working a very part-time job, maybe even one on your campus.

Message 3 of 6
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Well I am going in as a junior. So I would only have 8k. But I do need to call and ask them. I am trying to get a paid internship so we'll see how that goes. 

Message 4 of 6
ChargeItPlease
Regular Contributor

I agree that you should try to avoid private loans. If you find that you need one though, check out credit unions. They typically have lower rates and better terms. DCU looks good.

Starting Score: 400s (2011) Current: EQ 655 (01-2014) Goal: 700 Last app: 01-01-14. No apps 'til 12-2014!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.