Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Student Loan Rehab??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Student Loan Rehab??

We have found a house that we really love and the only thing holding me back is my delinquent student loans. I am on the rehab program but still have 8 months to go. I only owe $4000 worth of Student Loans. Does anybody know if I call them and just pay off the remaining balance would I still get the same positive effects? Will it show that I had good payment history like it would if I complete the program???

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Student Loan Rehab??

To answer your question directly NO if you just called an paid of the Loan it will not show positive payment history, it would be a foolish move.

If you paid the loan off in full, the default status will remain on your record/ credit report which will disqualify you from government mortgage loan program such as FHA. Your best option is to get the loan out of default before paying it off. You can accomplish this by consolidating the loan or completing the rehab program. I personally would complete the rehab program, because you get two benefits the default status will be removed plus your credit score will increase once the default TL is removed from your report.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, my loan was in default the balance was only $3000, I completed the success 9 months of payments but was waiting for the Department Of Education to fine a buyer for the loan. I applied for a conventional loan and was approved, my plan was to pay off the loan if it came up during the underwriting process. In the time it tock me to fine a home they found a buyer for the loans, it only tock 30 days for all the negative information from the Department of Education to fall of my credit report my score with up 40 points. If I was you I would hold off till you completed the rehab program. I am so happy I completed the rehab program.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I agree that my best bet is to stay on the rehab program. 9 months just seems soooo far away. The house we really love has already been on the market for over a year so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope that maybe it will still be on the market in 9 months.

Message 3 of 4
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

Once you leave the program getting back in is close to impossible. Finishing my Sallie Mae Rehab added close to 80 points to my Credit Score + when my loans got repurchased by Direct Loan my payment went from 450 a month to 142 a month.

Stick with it. The long term effects are incredible and houses will always be available.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.