Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding date reported on credit reports after disputed items

tag
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

Question regarding date reported on credit reports after disputed items

In January of this year, I disputed my student loans because I noticed they were still reporting a monthly payment history even though the accounts were charged off then paid through consolidation. Have 5 Sallie Mae 120 day lates from 2011 and an additional 5 Great Lakes Higher Education collections (which I still have no idea how they are the same loan but 2 companies, and no longer even have the energy to try to figure it out anymore, just patiently waiting for the day they are gone in 7 years)

I was able to dispute the fact that they were reporting monthly to date even though the consolidation/payment was in March of 2013 (at which point they were to stop reporting a month to month payment history, instead they kept reporting as KDAfter I diputed the items, they stopped reporting monthly as KD and now are correct as only reporting until March of 2013 and it shows 'Paid/paid as agreed'

They are all listed as paid collections/charge offs.

Here's my issue - when I apply for new credit, the creditor may inquire about my recent charge-offs/collections regarding these student loans because it is showing the "DATE REPORTED" as January 2014 - the month I disputed all the items, as opposed to the original "DATE REPORTED" which was over a year ago.

Equifax says that it's just because that's the last time the accounts were updated, which I understand, however, creditors keep asking about it and it being so recent. By the time I even explain to a potential new creditor the situation, it's pretty much out the door/denial/etc, etc...

They never inquire about the other Sallie Mae loans that are from 2011 because those were never updated with a recent date, but again I never disputed any of the SM loans.

I know the negatives will remain on my report for 7 years, I'm not disputing that. They are all paid now, but shouldn't they report only as the date it first reported and not the date I first disputed the items?

I really wish there were a credit course taught in high school. These were all student loans from my college days, and I never knew nearly what I know now just from the myfico forum information. 

All self taught now from reading posts here, I've managed to learn more and more everyday about credit and how it works and I'm SO grateful for the members here. Had it not been for you guys, I would be going on 12 years of no credit cards due to fear of never being approved! It was only in November of 2013 that I applied for my first credit card in 12 years and I've been rebuilding steadily ever since. I never make any credit decisions without searching the forums here over and over again until I'm certain I am well informed to make any decisions.

Thanks everyone! Heart

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.