Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about auto pay for student loans

tag
FrostDragon
Established Member

Questions about auto pay for student loans

I have 2 student loans with Great Lakes. They are both unsubsidized stafford loans. I have one paid ahead until Dec 2015 and one paid ahead until Jan 2017. I'm trying to pay one loan off first since it is smaller and I can pay it all off in about 1 year. I would like to sign up for auto pay for both loans, one for $190/month and one for $10 per month. Is that possible? 

The Great Lakes website says "For accounts with payments due, your Auto Pay amount can't be less than your scheduled monthly payment amount. " The website lists my schedule monthly payment as $90.57 and $98.60. I can't enter an amount lower than those into the auto pay amount fields on the website. At the same time, on a different tab on the website it lists my amount due as "paid ahead" so my scheduled monthly payments are correct but technically I don't really have any payment due atm. I italicized those parts because this is what I'm confused about.

If I can't sign them both up the way I want, is it possible to sign just one loan up for auto pay? IMHO, since you get the .25% interest discount for auto pay, I can't see how it could be legal not to be allowed to sign just one loan up for auto pay and obviously only get the interest discount on that one loan. But the website will not allow me to set up auto pay for only one loan. But the website says "Your Auto Pay enrollment will include all loans with payments due that are serviced by Great Lakes." and therefore will not allow me to only set it up for one loan. My point is, I think if the loans were with separate loan servicers I'd be allowed to sign just one up for auto pay and not the other, so why doesn't that seem to be an option just because I have the same loan servicer for both loans? 

If I'm missing anything I can give more details. In my mind I feel like I'm being screwed out of the .25% discount, not much but it helps a bit and I'd much rather use auto pay than pay online each month- Great Lakes takes about 15 days for payments to go through for me and half the time they never take my one-time payments- they cancel them at random. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about auto pay for student loans

I don't think auto-pay through the Great Lakes website is going to do what you want.   The reason they require the minimum payment amount on both loans is because when they receive a payment from you they are required to apply the money first to interest due (on both loans), then to principal due (on both loans) and finally to either advancing the due date or paying down the principal on one or both loans (this part you can specify).

No lender in their right mind would accept a $200 payment and then put it all (or nearly all) toward one account, letting the other potentially become delinquent as the auto-pay marches along unattended.  Basically, they're making sure unattentive borrowers don't set themselves up for trouble.  In addition, the auto-pay feature may not even go to pull the payment until there is some amount due on at least one of the accounts, defeating the purpose of what you're doing.

Rather than fight the way the system is designed to work, why don't you try another approach?  Use your bank's bill pay (if it doesn't have one, or you have to pay for it, there are plenty of free checking accounts that would work, like Ally or Capital One 360) to push a payment of your desired amount a few days before the due date each month.  That way you have complete control over how much goes out, rather than struggling to get Great Lakes computer to cooperate.

Message 2 of 6
smith5879
New Contributor

If you're trying to pay off one of the loans you're going about it the wrong way. When you have been paying them extra money, they've been pushing back the due date instead of applying the extra amount to the principal. This means you are going to have paid all 10 years worth of interest (or however long the loan term is for) by the time it is paid off. There should be option somewhere to specifically apply any extra amount to principal rather than pushing the due date back. As far as I know, student loans are the only thing I know of where this is an acceptable way to apply money paid above the minimum payment. It seems even more absurd to me that many loan servicers have this as the default for what happens to money paid in addition to the minimum.

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 3 of 6
FrostDragon
Established Member

As far as I can tell the extra money is all going directly to the principal not future interest. I have the option on the autopay page to select either "apply as refund" or "apply as payment". I use the refund option. I can see the amount of my payments that goes to principal and what goes to interest and it sees to all be going to reducing the principal. From the Great Lakes website:

Payments made within 120 days of your loan disbursement are generally treated as refunds. This directly reduces the amount of money you borrowed (principal) and recalculates any existing accrued interest based on the reduced principal. It also reduces your overall accrued interest—saving you the most money in the long run.

If you prefer all early payments made through Auto Pay be applied as regular payments and not as refunds, you can change your preference below. By selecting Apply as Payment, payments are applied first to any accrued interest, then to your principal balance. Making early payments helps you keep up with your accrued interest so it isn't capitalized; however, you won't benefit from the reduced principal balance that refunds provide.

My issue with this system is that if each loan was with a separate servicer I could enroll one in autopay and not the other. There seems to be no reason in my mind for not allowing it just because they are with the same servicer. I am not currently required to pay anything since I am ahead so it isn't like I'm making them apply a payment to the principal without paying my interest- I completely understand why that isn't allowed.

I'm pretty sure this applies here, maybe it's different for private loans but mine are all federal:

Federal regulations require a loan holder to push the next payment due date up for every multiple of the monthly payment they receive. So, if your payment of $50 is due in October and you send them $100, your next payment isn’t going to be due until December. You can submit or call in instructions to not have the payment due date pushed up, but doing so will not change the way the funds are actually credited to your account. Remember, you can’t prepay interest that hasn’t accrued yet, which is why if you pay extra every month, the amount of money going to the principal will be the same even if the lender pushes your due date ahead.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/student-loan-ranger/2014/07/23/understand-the-pieces-of-your-s...

Message 4 of 6
smith5879
New Contributor

"What does it mean to pay extra and apply the amount to your next payment due?

By selecting this option you are choosing to pay more than your Minimum Payment Due and apply the extra amount towards your next month's payment. For example, if you pay an amount more than your Minimum Payment Due you may have the ability to advance your next month's scheduled payment."

"If you are traveling for an extended period of time and may miss your student loan payment due date, this option will help you stay on track with your payments while you are away. Please note: Even though you have advanced a payment, interest will continue to accrue on your outstanding principal loan balance."

That's interesting. The above comes from my discover student loan account. From its wording I was under the impression that when paying extra without specifying how to apply it, that you were paying interest before it had actually accrued. This appears not to be the case.

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 5 of 6
FrostDragon
Established Member

hmm it's all very odd. I went back on Great Lake's website and I can see a section that says: 

1. Can I enroll in Auto Pay for only some of my accounts?

For accounts that have payments due, when you enroll in Auto Pay, you authorize automatic monthly payments on all these accounts.

For accounts that do not have payments due, when you enroll in Auto Pay, you authorize automatic monthly payments on only those accounts that you select.

So that would make me think I can auto pay one and not the other but when I actually try to sign one up and not the other it is completely impossible. The wording that confuses me is "accounts that have payments due"- when I look at my account summary I see "Amount Due: Paid Ahead" but then when I go into the screen for auto pay it shows up as:

• Next Payment Due: 09/10/2014
  • Scheduled Monthly Payment: $90.57
  • Next Payment Due: 09/10/2014
  • Scheduled Monthly Payment: $98.60

As if I'm not paid ahead. Very odd. Seems to me the only way to auto pay for just one loan is to forfeit my paid ahead status, which I don't want to do since it is federally required that loan servicers show paid ahead status on federal student loans. Great Lakes is supposed to contact me within a few days so from experience I'm willing to bet that I won't hear from them and when I log in a few days or weeks from now all of my info will be completely wrong and they will fight me on putting it back correctly. They have before. I'll post again if they let me sign one loan up for auto pay and not the other. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.