cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question about Loan Rehabilitation!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question about Loan Rehabilitation!

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to set up Loan Rehabilitation with Delta Managemetn Associates, though it is owned by USA Funds. With the program, I'll be paying for 9 months to get my loan in good standing and they'll remove the default once completed.

My question is, during the 9 months that I am paying, will USA Funds continue to dock my credit as faliure to pay the original loan or will they report as paying on time since I am in a loan rehabilitation program? The guy over at Delta Management was unable to answer this question even though I asked multiple times, simply stating that they had nothing to do with credit (which is a lie, but whatever)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick Question about Loan Rehabilitation!

More likely than not, you will still get it reported that the payment isn't being made/late. It is said that once the loan is rehabbed, the default AND negative reporting after default will be removed.

Hope this helps and good luck with your rehab!!
Message 2 of 8
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

Do NOT count on lates being removed.  It has happened for some, but not for others.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some had their lates removed and others have not.  Do yourself a favor and don't expect the lates to be removed, but hope that they do.  The program is still VERY BENEFICIAL. 

I just finished my rehab and the loans are in the process of getting transferred to the new servicer--I'm less than 30 days out of that new payment so nothing has updated yet on my credit report.  MNy loans have been assigned to the new servicer, however, they don't even have the loan info yet.

The nine months of payment WILL be reported on your credit report, however, during the 9 months of rehab they will still be listed as in default.  Which is very accurate.  The positive is that you have 9 new months of on-time payments, the "downside" is that you have to "wait" 9 months to get the tradelines updated to no longer being in default.  My credit score did not increase at all during those 9 months, mainly because the status stayed the same, if that makes sense.  Once everything is updated, I expect a significant boost to my credit score.

The program goes pretty quickly, so don't get discouraged, it seems these last few weeks are the slowest, getting everything updated

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindysMom wrote:

Do NOT count on lates being removed.  It has happened for some, but not for others.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some had their lates removed and others have not.  Do yourself a favor and don't expect the lates to be removed, but hope that they do.  The program is still VERY BENEFICIAL. 

I just finished my rehab and the loans are in the process of getting transferred to the new servicer--I'm less than 30 days out of that new payment so nothing has updated yet on my credit report.  MNy loans have been assigned to the new servicer, however, they don't even have the loan info yet.

The nine months of payment WILL be reported on your credit report, however, during the 9 months of rehab they will still be listed as in default.  Which is very accurate.  The positive is that you have 9 new months of on-time payments, the "downside" is that you have to "wait" 9 months to get the tradelines updated to no longer being in default.  My credit score did not increase at all during those 9 months, mainly because the status stayed the same, if that makes sense.  Once everything is updated, I expect a significant boost to my credit score.

The program goes pretty quickly, so don't get discouraged, it seems these last few weeks are the slowest, getting everything updated

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 8
wife2froggy
Contributor

@LindysMom wrote:

I read this a lot - for me,. that's not how it happened. No payments were ever reported during the rehab. Once the rehab was complete, all collections from DOE were deleted. My loans returned from FedLoan back to FedLoan and I've made a couple of post-rehab payments, still with no credit update. They're still showing them as closed accounts with a zero balance. The rep said it was because the switch happened after they reported. 

Now, however, I've gone into consolidation. What I'm trying to figure out is after all the collections dropped I got a big (50 point) increase across the board due to all personal finances dropping. I was hoping that the closed accounts would have reopened and shown current since the default status (that's how it went for my husband. His increase was 150+ points!)

My question is, will I see another huge DROP due to my personal finances going way back up again or will it help due to being open and current credit?

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 5 of 8
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

I'm really surprised to hear no payments were reported.  Did you pull your actual score during the rehab time & look?  Mine are being reported and they should have been reported.

I'm honestly not sure what a consolidation will do.  My loans were already consolidated once I left grad school to try to secure a better interest rate.

Would you mind sharing what your husbands tradelines looked like when he got that huge increase?  That seems like a lot more than what others have experienced?  GOod for him Smiley Happy

My FICO Scores:

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

Message 6 of 8
wife2froggy
Contributor

@LindysMom wrote:

I'm really surprised to hear no payments were reported.  Did you pull your actual score during the rehab time & look?  Mine are being reported and they should have been reported.

I'm honestly not sure what a consolidation will do.  My loans were already consolidated once I left grad school to try to secure a better interest rate.

Would you mind sharing what your husbands tradelines looked like when he got that huge increase?  That seems like a lot more than what others have experienced?  GOod for him Smiley Happy

I'm very very positive they weren't reporting, lol. I've become credit score obsessed for the last year while we prepare to buy a home.

My husband, when his DOE collections fell off, had 8 DOE collections, 1 small medical collection, 1 Sprint collection, a perfect history car payment and a couple of AU accounts on his profile. Basically when those 8 fell off it was nearly every open account that was bad... PLUS, when his loans transferred they immediately backdated his loans to the default date and marked them as current (he's with Navient.) His old lates from Nelnet did not fall off but they were closed with lates.

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 7 of 8
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

Have you filed disputes?  That would be my next route.

My FICO Scores:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.