Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

I am in the process of starting to establish/rebuild credit after defaulting on my federal student loans roughly 8 years ago. I was under the impression my credit would still be very poor because of the loans, but after checking my score, I found otherwise. My scores are actually good. I dont have any active credit except for a joint account with a relative.

Im still very confused about how my scores can be high with that type of history. i was told by a few people that because it was over 7 years ago that it may have stopped affecting my credit score. It seems that my credit started to climb around the begining of last year, which would have been about 7 years.

i was under the impression that federal loans never stop affecting credit. Am I incorrect?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

i have defaulted loans from more than 4 years ago. And my scores are north of 700. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

The fact that I haven't made and payments or actions towards them is what confuses me
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.