Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently rehabilitated Navient loan showing twice on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently rehabilitated Navient loan showing twice on credit report

So I've been on the long journey of rebuilding my credit. Things are actually going really well and I recently rehabilitated a student loan. After it was rehabilitated, it was purchased by Navient. I pulled my credit report and noticed two Navient accounts are now showing on my credit report. One account is the rehabilitated loan, everything is current and great! The other account has the exact same account number minus an R for rehabilitation. It does not show on my Transunion account (thankfully), shows on Experian as Derogatory, and shows on Equifax as Transferred but has 120 day late showing. So I figured some mistake was made, there is no reason for there to be two accounts showing...isn't that the point of rehabilitation? To clean up your credit report? Why would there now be two accounts? Shouldn't there only be the rehabilitated one? So I disputed the account with Experian and said I have no idea about this account, because honestly I don't. The dispute went through and everything remained. So I decided to reach out to Navient. They told me due to FCRA, they are required to show both accounts and blah blah blah. It doesn't make sense...there ISN'T two accounts? Navient was not willing to work with me, telling me that if I have any issues getting a mortgage, to have someone call them and they would explain I'm current? Ummm, no...? So I called Experian and explained what was going on, they didn't really have any answers other than for me to dispute it as a duplicate account. I don't really want to keep on disputing and disputing, but I went ahead with it anyway.

Long story short, is this accurate? Am I misunderstanding something? My student loan was with the Deparment of Education (I think?), it went into default, I rehabilitated it with the collection company, upon rehabilitation, the loan was purchased by Navient for the remainder of the loan amount, and then two Navient accounts started showing on my credit reports, one rehabilitated and one derogatory. Any advice, ideas, info is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.