Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehab After Garnishment Begins

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Rehab After Garnishment Begins

Once garnishment begins, how hard is it to get into a rehabilitation program? My roommate has been ignoring his SLs for years. His parents were contacted about being sued. He kept ignoring it. I've told him to get it together and start a rehab. Well, now his boss was contacted and asked to garnish 15%. He works for a coffee shop in TX so he is probably already below the poverty line as far as income is concerned.

Can someone with garnishments please confirm that you will continue to be garnished throughout the rehabilitation process until your loans are out a default? If this is the case, he is going to have a hard time paying rent, student loan rehab payment and being garnished at the same time. I already undercharge him for rent, bills and board. http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out#loan-rehab

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rehab After Garnishment Begins

@bahbahd wrote:

Once garnishment begins, how hard is it to get into a rehabilitation program? My roommate has been ignoring his SLs for years. His parents were contacted about being sued. He kept ignoring it. I've told him to get it together and start a rehab. Well, now his boss was contacted and asked to garnish 15%. He works for a coffee shop in TX so he is probably already below the poverty line as far as income is concerned.

Can someone with garnishments please confirm that you will continue to be garnished throughout the rehabilitation process until your loans are out a default? If this is the case, he is going to have a hard time paying rent, student loan rehab payment and being garnished at the same time. I already undercharge him for rent, bills and board. http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out#loan-rehab

I was garnished one pay check and set up my rehab. They stop the garnish after I set up monthly  auto pay. best thing that Beverly happen, since the payment went from $561.00 to $75

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 2 of 4
eastexascout
Regular Contributor

Let me speak from experience.

I was defaulted in TX.

Once you are in WG (Wage Garnishment), you have to stay on that for I think one year.  Once that year expires, you have to make X of payments, mine was $20 a month extra on top of your garnishment. 

Then they call you and put the loan up for sale.  85% of the time it gets sold.  Then a new lender picks it up and BAM....your on your way....

I mad the mistake of completely ignoring all calls & etc....very bad mistake.  If your friend ever works as a free lancer for anything associated with the state, that gets garnished as well.

So in essence, he needs to find out what the rehab program is for the current holder of this SL.  Then jump on that program, and work to get out of it. 

Hopefully this helps you....and your friend....

"just trying to get my credit up..."
Message 3 of 4
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@eastexascout wrote:

Let me speak from experience.

I was defaulted in TX.

Once you are in WG (Wage Garnishment), you have to stay on that for I think one year.  Once that year expires, you have to make X of payments, mine was $20 a month extra on top of your garnishment. 

Then they call you and put the loan up for sale.  85% of the time it gets sold.  Then a new lender picks it up and BAM....your on your way....

I mad the mistake of completely ignoring all calls & etc....very bad mistake.  If your friend ever works as a free lancer for anything associated with the state, that gets garnished as well.

So in essence, he needs to find out what the rehab program is for the current holder of this SL.  Then jump on that program, and work to get out of it. 

Hopefully this helps you....and your friend....

Wow. I'm glad that didn't happen to me. Mine was a wage garnishment. They took one payment and that's how I learn it was in default. Called the number an eecolodges old  not afford it and offered they offered rehab. Had to send in a ton of paperwork but i got it. I guess it depends on who you have the loans with. Thank heavens! 

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.