cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehab or Consolidate

tag
pioneer2005

Rehab or Consolidate

I have 2 defaulted student loans and one judgement for the texas higher education coordinating board. One of my defaulted loans offered me aconsolidation option. My defaulted account will show paid, and my new account will show paid as agreed. I need to buy a car in 6 months, ill have a down payment of $6000 for a 13000 loan; should i consolidate or rehab.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Rehab or Consolidate

The benefits of rehab don't really appear on your credit report until after 9 months, when the defaulted status is removed and new, positive tradelines are added by your new lender.  If you must buy the car in 6 months, I think that consolidating and paying on the new loan for 6 months would be the strongest showing that you are taking steps to improve your credit.  BUT, if you went with a local lender, like a credit union, showing them that you are in rehab might be just as effective.  Also, rehab has the best effect on your credit long term.

That's a tough call.  How is your credit overall?  Are these your only negative accounts?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.