Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehab question?

tag
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Rehab question?

Hi guys.
So I rehabbed my loans with Van Rue credit. I finished back in September of 2014. I was told when I was done all my lates would be removed and the trade lines would reflect positive. This has yet to happen. I disputed the loans thinking it would solve the issue but they came back verified. All of those loans where US DOE loans. No private loan companies. My question is where do I go from here? Do I call Van Rue or do I try and get ahold of someone at the DOE and if so does anyone have a good contact number? Some of these loans where direct loans and some prior after the government took over. Not sure If that makes a difference. Any info on my next move would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rehab question?

Bump^
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are only required to trmove the default status. The lates will stay. Try aGW letter.

Message 3 of 9
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I am still trying to figure this out. I keep reading they have to remove default status and the late payments from the DOFD forward. I never had any lates prior to the default so shouldn't they all be removed if that is the case or am I mistaken?
Message 4 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Where are you reading this? When I rehabbed, I was told by multiple sources including the Student Loan Ombusdman's office that default status would be removed but that the lates that led up to the default remain. Since student loans don't default until there are 270 days with no payment, it's possible to have lates of 30-60-90-120 etc in front of that date. It's not DOFD that matters, it's the date of default that applies here.
Message 5 of 9
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I did not realize it was 270 days. Even so there are some past that on the ones left. The funny thing is they have removed all the lates off of like 7 of them and they did as soon as I rehabbed but there are 4 left with over a years worth of lates on them. I suppose I will call USDOE and see what I can do on the last ones for some goodwill.
Message 6 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Jeff532003 wrote:
I did not realize it was 270 days. Even so there are some past that on the ones left. The funny thing is they have removed all the lates off of like 7 of them and they did as soon as I rehabbed but there are 4 left with over a years worth of lates on them. I suppose I will call USDOE and see what I can do on the last ones for some goodwill.

I'm not understanding what you mean when you say there are some past that. Let's say you have a student loan that was scheduled for repayment starting Jan 1. You don't make any payments, ever. February would mean a 30-day late would be reported. March - 60 day. April - 90 day. And so on down the line until you reach the 270 day mark (late September) at which point the loan officially defaults. If you rehab that loan, then the default information from September and after would be removed BUT the Jan-August lates remain until the 7 year reporting period is up. 

GW attempts certainly don't hurt. Thing is it's kind of a Your Mileage May Vary situation, since some lenders are really great about that and some are more hard-nosed.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has your default status still not been removed? They absolutely have to remove the default status. Anyone who has lates removed is technically considered lucky. You will read different experiences regarding what happens after rehab because the lates can still report for 7 years from the original default date even after rehab is complete. At this point you may want to send a letter and ask if they would be willing to remove the lates.

@Jeff532003 wrote:
Hi guys.
So I rehabbed my loans with Van Rue credit. I finished back in September of 2014. I was told when I was done all my lates would be removed and the trade lines would reflect positive. This has yet to happen. I disputed the loans thinking it would solve the issue but they came back verified. All of those loans where US DOE loans. No private loan companies. My question is where do I go from here? Do I call Van Rue or do I try and get ahold of someone at the DOE and if so does anyone have a good contact number? Some of these loans where direct loans and some prior after the government took over. Not sure If that makes a difference. Any info on my next move would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Nope they all still say transferred/sold to government. None of them have been updated to current or as agrees or whatever it should say.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.