Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehab vs Good Standing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rehab vs Good Standing

This post is mostly out of frustration, but please someone tell me I am not understanding this correctly.  My student loans have many, many 60, 90, 120 lates in the past few years, but are all now current and show in "good standing."  Of course, the lates will remain on my CR until they age off.  From what I have read on here, I should just let them default, rehab them, and then all negatives will be gone.  15 months to a clean report.  Is this correct???  Sure, my credit will be crap until the rehab is finished, but after that I will be golden. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Rehab vs Good Standing

Rehab does not guarantee that the lates will be removed - all of the default notations must be removed but some servicers will leave the lates that led up to the default as well as any other history on the original tradelines.

Rehab also does not remove all of the late fees and collections costs associated with a defaulted student loan, only some of them.  Your loan will also continue to accrue interest while you're not making payments - you'll cost yourself money in the grand scheme.

It sucks that the lates stick around for as long as they do, but there's plenty you can do to build good credit and solid finances while you wait.  Focus on the positive, mind your money well, and your credit will take care of itself.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.