cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehabbed student loan, but it's still showing up on my CR. A few questions...

tag
Tazer911

Rehabbed student loan, but it's still showing up on my CR. A few questions...

Hi all - 

First off, thanks to everyone on this forum; I've learned a lot from reading it over the past few months.

So here's the deal. Over the past year, I rehabbed two loans that had been with Nelnet. They were ugly; they previously showed missed payments of 120+ days, with a balance of $0 and were listed as "claim filed with government." That made sense, as the DOE sent a collection agency after me last year.

After talking to the collection agency in 2012, I successfully rehabilitated these loans (which were lumped together for the purposes of repayment) in early-January. The agency made it clear that they would file this development with the credit agencies, along with sending the rehabbed loan to the DOE.

As expected, the DOE quickly got hold of my loan, and I'm now making regular playments on myfedloan. So far, good to go.

However, checking my credit report today (nearly two months after I completed the rehab process), the Nelnet loans are still listed the same as before; nothing has changed - at least on the Equifax report I just pulled up. Enough time seems to have passed for Equifax to have gotten that information. Hence, my questions:

- Given the fact that I rehabbed these loans, what should they be listed as on my credit report? Should the old listing (120+ days past due, claim filed with govenrment, etc.) disappear, replaced by my current DOE loans as accounts in good standing?

- What steps should I take to make sure that Equifax and the other agencies reflect the successful rehabilitation?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rehabbed student loan, but it's still showing up on my CR. A few questions...

I disputed the equifax report and it was deleted within days.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.