cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Transferred, Zero Balance Student Loans from Credit Report??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove Transferred, Zero Balance Student Loans from Credit Report??

I have student loans on my credit report that were transferred a few years ago to another lender.  Those balances were zeroed out, but are still on my credit report and appear to count against my FICO score, since they add to the total number of accounts. Is it wise to ask to have those (transferred, zero balance) removed?  Thank you.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Remove Transferred, Zero Balance Student Loans from Credit Report??

@Anonymous wrote:
I have student loans on my credit report that were transferred a few years ago to another lender.  Those balances were zeroed out, but are still on my credit report and appear to count against my FICO score, since they add to the total number of accounts. Is it wise to ask to have those (transferred, zero balance) removed?  Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

Those accounts are helping you because they are adding to your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) and credit length history and will continue to do that for up to 10 years after closing. I wouldn't do a thing about them.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 4
mefowler

Im in the same predicament, but it seems as though the aaoa reported through myfico has gone down because of these multiple new student loan accounts which have popped up. It seems as though they get transferred frequently with new accounts opening in their place, shortening my aaoa history. In addition, myfico claims the amount of new credit I have is "not good," which I think is a result of the multiple student loans I have on my CR. I hope I am wrong. It also says I have a short credit history, although they point out my oldest account is from 1997, yet my newest was opened in feb 2010 due to a consolidation.

Starting Score:530
Current Score:744 (Experian)
Goal Score:780
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

My Cards, and their actual color in order of appearance
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, MarineVietVet for your response.  I'm trying to make it better...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.