Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Old Late Payments-- Nelnet

tag
wilkersonk
Established Member

Removing Old Late Payments-- Nelnet

I have had my student loans on deferment since 2012 on and off. Most are noted as OK but I have about 3-5 late payments (some 120 days) on each one of my loans and I have in total 11. It is really strange on how 120 can even happen as there are OKs before and after many of them. The math does not add up. I have disputed this to no avail. For the past two years, all have OK and I have had my account on autopay for the past 6 months and will continue. I am thinking of paying most of them down since it is bringing my score down. My question is are there any tricks that I can get Nelnet to remove these late payments? I think I might have blown my leverage by putting them on autopay. Any help is appreciated! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Removing Old Late Payments-- Nelnet

First I will say that I don't think you've lost any leverage with being on automatic payments.  If these are federal student loans, they are not going anywhere.  Second, it sounds like there may be some discrepancies in their records.  Typically your account will show 30, 60, 90, 120 days late in sequence.  I think more importantly you mentioned that your account had been in deferment.  You should reach out to them because if you were in school during that time and the accounts should have been deferred, then no payment would have been due and that should clear the lates from your records.  Some were mentioning success just going through the "contact us" feature and emailing Nelnet with having this type of situation taken care of.  If there ends up being too much back and forth, it may be best to call and politely speak with a supervisor for some help resolving the issue.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

First I will say that I don't think you've lost any leverage with being on automatic payments.  If these are federal student loans, they are not going anywhere.  Second, it sounds like there may be some discrepancies in their records.  Typically your account will show 30, 60, 90, 120 days late in sequence.  I think more importantly you mentioned that your account had been in deferment.  You should reach out to them because if you were in school during that time and the accounts should have been deferred, then no payment would have been due and that should clear the lates from your records.  Some were mentioning success just going through the "contact us" feature and emailing Nelnet with having this type of situation taken care of.  If there ends up being too much back and forth, it may be best to call and politely speak with a supervisor for some help resolving the issue.

Nelnet (not sure about other servicers) will typically give you time to catch your account up before reporting as late. They don't report that you are late to the CBAs for months. That's why it jumps from 'OK' to 120 late. If OP disputes, it would likely just update to more late remarks.

I haven't had any luck with GW with Nelnet, despite having been on time since 2014. I've been trying every few months for the last 2 years. 

Message 3 of 4
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Good point lowkey.  So, since that's a known item, I agree with you that it's best not to poke the sleeping bear unless the OP has proof of payment for those dates to have the 120day lates removed, and/or was in school qualifying for deferment.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.