Regular Contributor
JewelryGirl

SALLIE MAE GOODWILL

I sent Sallie Mae a GW letter asking them to remove some lates on my CR.  I got the usual "we must report accurate information".  I just typed up a follow up letter.  Please let me know what you think.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I recently requested that you make a goodwill adjustment on my accounts with the three credit reporting agencies.  While I understand that you must report accurate information, I am asking you to simply delete the tradelines altogether.  I would never ask you to report false information.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) states that IF a lender reports information, they must report it accurately.  I am simply asking that you NOT report the information at all.  I would prefer these tradelines to be deleted from my credit report from all three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian).

I would like to thank Sallie Mae for furnishing my student loan needs.  While I was happy with the service, I was going through a life shattering event.  I was going through a divorce and trying to cope both emotionally and financially.  Now that things are better, I do not want the past to haunt me for the next seven (7) years.  Please consider this request.  I would greatly appreciate it.

TransUnion
505Date: 9/6/2008
Equifax
534Date: 9/6/2008
Experian
553Date: 9/6/2008
Pammila

Re: SALLIE MAE GOODWILL

How many lates are we talking about. Usually it is better to just ask them to remove the lates. Not the entire tradeline. Because it is helping the score - it is still a good account that can be fixed. I would try asking for the lates to be removed instead of removing the entire tradeline. Try to save the account listing.
Frequent Contributor
LynnInMN

[ Edited ]
Deleting negative information which the Department of Education via the Higher Education Act requires be reported would be false  reporting. 

Deferments and forebearances are readily available for periods of financial hardship.....I realize it is hindsight, but you should have taken advantage of those.

Message Edited by LynnInMN on 07-23-2008 08:57 AM
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Regular Contributor
JewelryGirl

[ Edited ]
I know.  I didn't know about those until after the lates were already on there. 

I don't think anything about these TLs are helping my score.  All they have on them are the lates.  I may be wrong though.

Message Edited by JewelryGirl on 07-23-2008 04:54 PM
TransUnion
Equifax
Experian
Regular Contributor
realworldknowledge

What you are asking them to do is completely legal and within their ability.  You are not asking them to change factual information you are asking them to exercise their right not to report any information at all.  It is not a requirement for any lending/financial institution to report anything on one's credit.  They each choose to report the information and if they choose that liberty, they MUST report accurately.  Don't confuse the two. 
Regular Contributor
JewelryGirl

Yep.  I understand that.  That is why I am asking them to simply delete the TLs.  I know the lates were my fault and I would rather not have the TLs than have all those lates on my CR.
TransUnion
Equifax
Experian
mrice310

Good luck trying to get SallieMae to remove anything from your credit report.  I hate to be a wet blanket here, and I really wish you luck, but I recently tried the same thing because I was applying for a mortgage and they refused to remove the delinquencies from my reports, even though I was in "deferment" when they reported me late.  They simply said that the deferment resolves all delinquencies going forward, but does not remove the delinquencies that have already been reported.

<<Deferments and forebearances are readily available for periods of financial hardship.....I realize it is hindsight, but you should have taken advantage of those.>>

The problem with this comment, aside from being patronizing, is that I WAS in deferment for financial forebearance, but SallieMae still reported me late to the credit bureaus.  The delinquencies happened over 5 years ago and they are still showing as derogatory remarks on each tradeline.  By reporting me late on each loan, I now have 5 late accounts on my credit report.  I have since paid these five tradelines off, but the negatives are still there and they will not remove them.   

Please let us know if you have any success with your letter.

7.25.08 TU - 705
7.25.08 EQ- 674 
7.25.08 EX - 709

New Visitor
mimi79

I hope this helps someone!!!!

Sallie mae recently report to my credit showing a late payment for over 90 days, my fico score for each agency drop 100 points. I was in school early that year so my loan was in deferment,but once that semester ended, I didn't return back to school until 8 mths later.

HERE'S WHAT I DID.....

1. DO NOT SPEAKING TO SM CUSTOMER SERVICE, THEY'RE PROGRAM TO SAY THE SAME DAM THING..... FAX A LETTER  AND IT CANNOT BE REMOVE!!!

2. GET A COPY OF ALL 3 REPORT SHOWING ERROR, AND HIGHLIGHT SM

3. WRITE A LETTER STATING WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO, ( some people would say write a nice goodwill letter, while others would say write a demand... I took both approaches.....) be very detail... Not too short or long..To the point

4. Mail certified report, letter, and anything that will be helpful....In school deferment..Letter from school showing fulltime status...whatever is needed to show proof...Keep in mind not all school will automatically report to SM that you are a student..... That's an advantage to you.... I stated in my letter,, that I was told from SM customer service that my school did, and my acct will automatically go into deferment, when that's incorrect, I stated SM should train their employees..Etc etc....I did mention I would take legal action in the letter.....

5. Mail certified to : Office of the Customer Advocate PO Box 4200 Wilkes- Barre, PA 18773-4200 .. Also you can call

(888) 545-4199..These people are awesome!!!!!! Its a small office not a lot of people....But they listen to you.... I would recommend just to send out the letter first to them CERTIFIED..... Make sure you have a c/b number and act number listed on each paper..... Be very descriptive in your letter as to what went on...

This is what I did, on a Monday... By  Fri. I got a call from SM customer adv. stating they will remove the negative reporting...:smileyhappy:.3 weeks later my report was back to normal...Literally!!!!I also  weeks later got a letter fom SM confirming the removing...

So don't get discourage people, I was just like you went online did some research, read all the horrible stories about SM, reading that they will never fix any errors.Etc... Everyone is different.... Never stop. I promise myself if this works for me, I'll go back online to inform others, and hopefully this will help someone.. Where one says no.. Someone says yes...... Man may rule but GOD OVERRULES!!!!

godbless!!!

Regular Contributor
PapasWifey

Mimi, congrats!!

Thanks for sharing this positive story and thanks for the contact info.

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor
zero32

I wrote a certified letter to Sallie Mae and a very nice woman promptly returned my letter with a phone call. They told me that they will never remove a late payment from someones history and when I mentioned that I knew of someone else who HAD had it done, she told me there must be a mistake because it never happens. I've had 80 months of on time payments and one 30 day late payment two years ago that I was trying to remove. 

Lame. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}