cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT STUDENT LOAN PLEASE HELP!!!!

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT STUDENT LOAN PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hey all I've been a long time reader but first writer on these forums.
So here's my situation I live and attend school in the NYC area and I'm currently entering my third year of college. I've been blessed enough to at this point haven't had to take out any student loans and really don't know anything about them. My parents are currently paying for my education and plan to pay for my last two years. I was considering taking out a student loan to pay for books, supplies (computer, software etc..) and eventually pay for housing as I am currently looking a place closer to school where the commute isn't so long. As I did some research I quickly realized that most student loans pay the school directly and than any money left over can than be used on other things. So my question is are there students loans that doesn't pay the school directly instead can write me a check for whatever the amount is.
Thanks in advance for your responses
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT STUDENT LOAN PLEASE HELP!!!!

While there may be some private student loans that do pay the student directly (I'm honestly not sure), I think your best option is to start with federal loans.  They come with a lot of protections that make the minor hassle of having to get a refund check from the school rather than money directly from the lender worthwhile in my opinion.  I would go talk to your financial aid office about the amount you would qualify to borrow.  Every school sets a total Cost of Attendance that includes allowances for things like books, supplies and room and board.  I would guess that with your tuition paid, the max you can borrow is the difference between the COA and tuition, but that might not be the case.

Message 2 of 3
annebythesea
New Contributor

Re: SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT STUDENT LOAN PLEASE HELP!!!!

Federal loans pay the school directly and then you get any leftover $. Not sure how private loans work but I have a feeling most pay the school directly as well. 

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.