Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL and Credit Score.....

tag
Ashley1980
New Contributor

SL and Credit Score.....

I would like to ask, Do federal student loans impact scores significantly if they are deferred?  I'm in the market for a new car and in reviewing my scores it appears that the CA's are considering my student loans as new inquiries.  I will need a car soon so I need to get my score up.  But I will have several more student loans showing up, as I'm still in school.  Is this typical? Should I expect lower credit scores while I'm getting student loans? 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: SL and Credit Score.....

SLs count as installment loans, so they don't affect utilization, but they do count for payment history and credit mix. If these are your first TLs and/or installment loans, you should see an increase in scores along with any slight decreases related to inquiries and having the new accounts, but those dings should be pretty small. I also get a small ding according to MyFico for having my installment loan balance so close to its highest total, but for reference, my file had one 6 year CC, 2 open (deferred) and 4 closed SLs, and 8 months of an auto loan, no lates and was around 750, so it wasn't holding me back.

Having the loans in deferment does zilch for your score either way as far as I can tell. Although it'll usually say "deferred" under the notes for the account, mine have always been listed as "pays as agreed" and therefore count toward my positive payment history. A manual review of your account will show that "deferred" status, but when you explain that you're still in school (and not putting them into deferment because of financial hardship for instance), I don't think that will have any negative effect.

If you don't have any CCs, opening one should improve your credit mix and boost your score, if you do have CCs, you can pop over to the CC forum to learn how to use the balances and utilization to squeeze some more points out before you apply.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 4
Ashley1980
New Contributor

Thanks. That is very reassuring.  I think i have a good credit mix..  I have 1 visa card (1200 limit, 700 balance), 1 best buy (2200 limit, 1800 balance) and walmart card (300 limit, 0 balance), personal loan, car loan, my 4 sl's, and mortgage.  I know that i need to pay down/off my cc's to at least a balance under 30%.  Hopefully that will raise my score.   Thanks so much for your input.
Message 3 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

No problem, it sounds like you'll be in a great place once you get those balances paid down. I would get both cards under 50%, then total util down to 9% and those should give you the biggest score boosts. With your util down and no baddies, I would say that you should qualify for a great auto loan rate.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.