Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL direct from school?

tag
mschang
Regular Contributor

SL direct from school?

i know student loans are special but, if it was directly from the university, does it still fall into the "they can hunt you down forever" category? i just became financially mature recently so i don't have the original paperwork Smiley Sad

i live in california with a 4 year SOL but went to school in new york that has a 6 year SOL, so SOL runs out either in June 2012 or June 2014. strangely enough it just popped up on my transunion report (it's been listed on the other 2 for a while).

it says i owe 8K with ~3K past due. PIF or settle then GW? or let it drop?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SL direct from school?

Perkins loans show up on my report as directly from the University, and yeah they are "follow you around forever" ones. Have you considered rehabbing the loan? I'm not sure waiting for SOL to run out is going to do you much good.

Message 2 of 5
mschang
Regular Contributor

had i kept the paperwork i might have known it was a govt loan!

i'll definitely look into rehabbing. that really helped -- thanks!!!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might also check the National Student Loan Data System - I'd defaulted on my loans and it was so long ago I had no idea even how many I had. If you go there, you can put in your info and it will pull up information about each loan, plus who's currently handling the account. Then you can get in touch to ask about rehabbing.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
mschang
Regular Contributor

it IS a federal loan -- hooray! contact info is blank though so i assume i just have to call the school.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.