Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM - SL considered "Consumer finance accounts?"

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

SM - SL considered "Consumer finance accounts?"

.When I pulled my new EQ I got a new item in my negative column that wasnt there before.  It seems that EQ is treating my Sallie Mae Student Loan accounts as Consumer finance accounts.  Why?  Since this is the 4th item on the list and they really help my AAoA, should I worry myself about them being listed as such?

• You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

Number of consumer finance accounts on your credit report16 accounts
    Only 12% of FICO High Achievers have a consumer finance account.

Consumer finance companies typically grant loans to people with poor credit histories. Their customers often cannot get loans from traditional lending companies such as banks or credit unions. These are often high-interest loans because the consumer finance company is assuming more risk by lending to people with less than perfect credit.

The fact that you have a consumer finance company loan on your credit report means that you represent a higher risk to lenders than someone with no consumer finance loans. Even if this consumer finance account is closed, it will still lower your FICO score. However, its impact on your score will lessen as time passes.

What to do about this: You should try to stay current with all of your payments and avoid opening any new credit accounts that you don't need.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: SM - SL considered "Consumer finance accounts?"

That's pretty unusual.  Private loans?  I wonder if others have noticed this as well.

Message 2 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Well they are scheduled to fall off June 2014 and its pretty low on my list of negative factors.

Message 3 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Anyone have an idea about this? I got my letter from NFCU re my flagship card and this was listed 3rd reason. In truth I have none but it seems to be still treating SL as consumer accounts.

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, are you certain this is it? Look in your EQ CR for the "account type" field I believe it is called. Look for something like "consumer finance account" or similar. Look at all opened and closed TLs too.

Relatively speaking it is benign and the ding is uber minor, if at all. In fact, if you remove the SLs, assuming that was it, you'd lose points.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.