cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUDENT LOAN ACCOUNT STILL REPORTING 120 DAYS PAST ON EQUIFAX

tag
rarejewel

STUDENT LOAN ACCOUNT STILL REPORTING 120 DAYS PAST ON EQUIFAX

I spoke with ISAAC and Equifax together to get this removed, still not removed. My account is still showing 120 Days past due with zero balance and it does lower FICO score. My TU & Experian shows Paid Collection. ISAAC told me they reported it as an Account Status Code 62 "Paid Collection, was Government claim for Current Status.

I figured out why the 120 Days past due is still on account. It's because Equifax uses Payment Rating Codes to report if the account is Current, 30, 60, 90,120 Days lates, etc. along with Payment History. If the account is late 30 days the Payment Rating Code is R1, every month the Payment Rating Codes reflects the Payment History,. Once the account is brought current the Payment Rating Code is updated to  "Current".

So when the accounts is paid in full they ISSAC reported Account Status Code 62. But the Payment Rating Code was not updated to "Current" instead it was left at 120 days past due. Which is conflicting with each other. Because an account can't be120 Days past due and Paid Collection at the same time. This overrides and removes the Account Status Code 62 and leaves the 120 Days past due in the Current Status. Even thought the account has a zero balance and the remarks may  say Paid Collection. The  FICO scoring system goes by the Current Status  "120 Days past due" which lowers my score.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: STUDENT LOAN ACCOUNT STILL REPORTING 120 DAYS PAST ON EQUIFAX

I don't have any experience with your particular situation (with certain codes overriding each other, etc.), but do know that even when you pay off loans, any lates remain on your report for 7 years unless you can get them removed as incorrect information, or through a goodwill adjustment by the lender.

If you think the information is incorrect, I would submit proof of that to the original lender and also file a dispute with the CRA.  Be persistent, it may take a few tries.  If you're looking to get some of the correct information changed due to extenuating circumstances, you can search these forums for examples of GW letters and be persistent with those as well.  Hopefully, all the changes you are looking for will get made.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: STUDENT LOAN ACCOUNT STILL REPORTING 120 DAYS PAST ON EQUIFAX

I'm going through the same thing right now. i took my loan out in 2004 and defaulted for a little while. now it is in good standing and would be paid off if i hadn't deferred to go back to school. I contacted AWS/PHEAA about it being on my credit report as 120+ days past due and they said they can't do anything about it. at one time it was 120 days late and until my 7 years are up, i'm stuck with it pulling down my credit score. i hope you have better luck getting it taken care of!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.