Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUDENT LOANS 60 DAYS LATE - REMOVED?

tag
virgoprincess823
Regular Contributor

STUDENT LOANS 60 DAYS LATE - REMOVED?

Hi guys-

I recently found out that the student loan company was trying to get a hold of me about my student loans that were in forbearance. They claimed that they emailed me and even sent me letters. However I never received any correspondence from them. I purchased a home a year ago and have been working hard on keeping my credit clean, no lates in the past 3 years or so. I'm very disturbed they told me that they have already reported me 60 days late. Well I'm back in forbearance now but do you think I'd have any success and getting these lates removed??? The girl on the phone had my correct mailing address but a non-working email address. So I gave her the new info. I remember changing my email address online myself a year ago so I'm not sure what happened. Please help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: STUDENT LOANS 60 DAYS LATE - REMOVED?

Have you checked your credit reports to see if it is actually showing up?  How long ago are they saying it was being reported 60 days late?  How did you find out that they were trying to get ahold of you?  What company was it?  Private or federal student loan?

I ask these questions for a number of reasons.  A forebearance is normally only good for 1 year, and based on your statement of updating your email address a year ago while in forebearance, then it would have been time for you to complete new paperwork to get another forebearance or start making payments.  So, if they late is not considered the "fault" of the student loan company, then unfortunately, it will be a lot more difficult to get it removed as it is reporting accurately.  And this is probably the answer that you may run into.

So, even with this said, I think your best option may be to call and talk with them to see if they can have it removed.  Or maybe search this site to see if you can find a backdoor number or a good address to use for a Good Will letter.  But with the letter, it is possible that it may be more effective if you were starting to make payments on the loan; maybe via an income based repayment plan or something that won't leave you strapped for cash.  Good luck and hope you are able to get this all straightened out.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 3
RU4Real

Re: STUDENT LOANS 60 DAYS LATE - REMOVED?

Unfortunately, if you were late because you failed to respond to the notices (maybe you didnt update your address/ph# ?) then you probably arent going to have much luck getting it removed as a "good will" or "good faith" measure. Many companies will only remove them - and rightfully so - if they made an error that caused the delinquence (like misapplying a payment or processing your forb well after it was recieved). One bad thing is there is SO much mail on student loans you really have to open everything to make sure you dont miss something important like a bill or late notice!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.