cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - Advice for repayment?

tag
pyjamazombie

Sallie Mae - Advice for repayment?

Hi, I'm a new user.. I just signed up.  I'm trying to clear up the mess I've gotten myself into here.  I was convinced that private student loans were a good idea to go to a private college.  I had just turned 18 at the time and felt invincible.. what are you gonna do, right?

Anyway, now I have accumulated a huge amount of debt.  I also have loans out through the Department of Education but I have already worked with them to set up a rehabilitation plan.  They have been very helpful.

However.. When I call Sallie Mae I hit a big brick wall.  They end up confusing me and I feel helpless to fix my situation, though I am willing. One lady told me I had to pay $550 monthly because of how many loans I had (At the time I made just over $400 per month after rent, before any other expenses) And when I gave them all of my income and expense information they told me I "didn't qualify" for my payments to be lowered.   No one I talk to is willing to help me and I'm just not really sure what kind of questions I'm supposed to ask them!     Does anyone have any advice on what I should be asking and what course of attack would be best for me?  (My income is pretty low, usually around $1000 per month after taxes.)

This is what my accounts with them look like: 

Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00808/2008$11,327Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00708/2007$7,868Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00805/2008$7,482Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00608/2006$5,949Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
 Student/Education LoanSallie Mae XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00608/2005$29,869Bad debt/collection This account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX00808/2008$3,606Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - Advice for repayment?

When you call SM, you end up talking to the call center.   Never had success with them.  I pushed and pushed until I received a department in the continental USA.  Once there, I actually made progress.

Maybe next time you call, you can push and push to get someone in the states?

Message 2 of 3
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - Advice for repayment?

I read on another SallieMae post this link: https://www1.salliemae.com/about/corp_leadership/management/advocate.htm - hope it helps!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.