Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae CR Reporting

tag
rinkgirl2
Valued Member

Sallie Mae CR Reporting

I've had a loan with Sallie Mae open since I started school however I didn't have to make any payments on it until I graduated. My first payment was in March '12. My husband and I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in February 2010 and as of that date Sallie Mae began reporting my accounts as "Claim filed with government. Debt being paid through insurance". The last reporting date was February 2010. Then in September 2010 they began reporting it as a separate account as "open/never late". I have never paid late and wasn't even responsible for making payments back in Feb. 2010. I'm responsible for the loan that was "being paid through insurance" and I'm wondering if this reporting is lowering my credit score. I'm sure it has something to do with the BK filing, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if I should leave it be or try to contact Sallie Mae.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
georgia_girl
Established Member

Re: Sallie Mae CR Reporting

I think you should call the Office of the Customer Advocate at Sallie Mae. When you're a student it usually says Paid/ or Paying as Agreed.

Message 2 of 3
01mommy
New Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae CR Reporting

So you have two tradelines for the same account?  If so, it's most definitely because of the bankruptcy.  I filed Ch 13 and one loan reports twice; one as paid/never late/closed and the other as discharged in bankruptcy, which we know isn't even possible.  I started by disputing with EX (it only reports that way with them) they "verified" it, but it opened the door to contact EX directly about the issue. The rep did an additional dispute over the phone and I was able to give her info I couldn't provide online.  In the meantime, I'm still hounding Wells Fargo...they're telling me they have to report that way despite the fact that the same account is reporting twice .  The bankruptcy notation puts it in the "potential negative" category on my report, so I would think that may impact scores to some extent.  Sallie Mae is notorious for maintaining accuracy to the end, but contact the office of the customer advocate because the average rep can't do a thing for you.  Keep us posted and good luck with getting it cleared up!

Starting Score: 564 on 3/15/12
Current Score: 665 on 7/14/12
Goal Score: 675 by 9/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.