Who said they remove things?

All they remove is HOPE.  They Suck.  Smiley Mad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Customer Advocate

Sorry. Smiley Sad But I've always heard that Sallie Mae never removes anything.
Message 2 of 14
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Me too, but I saw a couple posts with that phone # saying people had luck with it.  Oh well, in 2 more years it will be outta here!!
Message 3 of 14
hulamatt

anyone got this number i lost it

Message 4 of 14
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Check your PM.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get this number as well?

Message 6 of 14
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I tried that # & got absolutely nowhere.  I had much better luck sending an email!  Which led to a phone call from them!  And early removal.

Message 7 of 14
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

What really gets me is this: Look at the link below and check out the next to last header - How can I fix my credit

http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resources/faqs/fixproblem_faq.html

You'll see that it says: If you’re having credit problems you may want to consider loan rehabilitation. Under this program, a new loan is created that removes the default status from your previous loans. If you are approved for rehabilitation, all derogatory information placed in your credit bureau files by the Department of Education or any of its collection agencies will be removed.

I defaulted several years ago. I completed rehabilitation of my loans a couple of years ago. The derogatory information is still there. It's apparently the one thing standing between me and a home equity loan right now.

Lame.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 8 of 14
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I saw that too.  I was never even offered that option & it was long before I even knew what an ombudsman was!  Last year I sent that dude a HUGE stack of info about my Federal loan & how DoE was saying it was a collection (for years always said ok, until I paid it off.  Then it said collection) Ombudsman said he couldn't believe all the documentation I had for my proof.  What happened?  DoE KEPT the bad info on my file.  Prior to even getting ahold of him I'd disputed with all 3 & EQ & TU removed it.

With it still on my EX, I had apped for an AMEX & because of that they denied me.  Sent them the same info I sent to ombudsman, though not as much, and they approved me!  They knew DoE was full of it, but how do you fight Uncle Sam (and get it removed)????

When it comes to that TL...I fight it with the creditor or company I want to do business with.  And to hell with the DoE.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gamegrrl wrote:

What really gets me is this: Look at the link below and check out the next to last header - How can I fix my credit

http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resources/faqs/fixproblem_faq.html

You'll see that it says: If you’re having credit problems you may want to consider loan rehabilitation. Under this program, a new loan is created that removes the default status from your previous loans. If you are approved for rehabilitation, all derogatory information placed in your credit bureau files by the Department of Education or any of its collection agencies will be removed.

I defaulted several years ago. I completed rehabilitation of my loans a couple of years ago. The derogatory information is still there. It's apparently the one thing standing between me and a home equity loan right now.

Lame.

wow, that is definitely misleading!  that is not how it is done in practice and it is not consistent with the applicable law/regulation.  there is nothing that requires "all derogatory information" to be removed.  someone should write them a letter, because a lot of people get their hopes up only to find out that's not how it works.

20 USC § 1078–6 (C)

Upon the sale or assignment of the loan, the Secretary, guaranty agency or other holder of the loan shall request any consumer reporting agency to which the Secretary, guaranty agency or holder, as applicable, reported the default of the loan, to remove the record of the default from the borrower’s credit history.

34 CFR § 682.405   (b)(2)

The guaranty agency must report to all national credit bureaus within 90 days of the date the loan was rehabilitated that the loan is no longer in a default status and that the default is to be removed from the borrower's credit history.

the applicable law for FFEL (stafford) loans is  20 USC § 1078–6, found here http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode20/usc_sec_20_00001078----006-.html

the applicable regulation for FFEL loans is 34 CFR. § 682.405, found here http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title34/34-3.1.3.1.40.html#34:3.1.3.1.40.4.40.6

the terms for rehabilitation of perkins loans are essentially the same as stafford loans.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.