cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Forbearance and Credit Reports

tag
MIAMI_FL

Sallie Mae Forbearance and Credit Reports

Last year I was in forbearance. I had to pay $ 100.00.   It took SM 2 months to post the forbearance whch caused me to be late 2 months on my credit file. I have disputed this numerous times with Sallie Mae and they state that they posted this to my account in 8/2008, mind you I was already paying them.  They said they could not fix my report retroactively for the 2 prior months I had requested the forbearance for. Furthermore, they are taking 2 1/2 months to update credit file information and are failing to update the balances correctly on the Student Loans. I sent evidence to the 3 CRAs and they state though I sent a copy of my statement reflecting the correct balance, that they have to go by what Sallie Mae is reporting. This is ridiculous. Sallie Mae is obviously wrong.   Do wwe not have righrs?  SM is messing up my credit and the CRAa answer is that they apologize, but they are not mediators. I referred Sallie Mae to the FTC (not that anything will be done0 and the Pa. AG.   The attorney general in Florida claims they have no jurisdiction. A ridiculous cop-out.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae Forbearance and Credit Reports

I had almost the same issue, and many more. I finally did the following (I'm copying and pasting from one of my facebook notes to all students paying on loans)

I thought I might post this in case some of my friends have been having the same issues with Sallie Mae and student loans, as I have.
I got so frustrated dealing with my calls being directed overseas, getting wrong and varying information, and holding for hours, just to pay my bills, that I got angry.
When I get angry, I get obsessed .. and won't give up.
I composed a long letter addressing my issues, and also mentioned the thousands of complaints I have been reading online from other hopeless souls lost in the SM abyss.
I addressed the letter to Sallie Mae of course, with cc to the following.

To
Sallie Mae, Inc.
ATTN: Correspondence
PO Box 9500
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9500

Cc

edited
c/o Consumer Action Center
1601 W. Peachtree St., N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30309

edited, CEO Sallie Mae
edited CFO Sallie Mae
edited
edited

edited
edited
edited
10261 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

edited SLM Board of Directors
10261 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Dept of Education Finance
edited E-mail: edited@ed.gov
edited E-mail: edited@ed.gov

New York Attorney General edited
Office of the Attorney General
The Capitol
Albany, NY 12224-0341

edited

Office of the Attorney General
40 Capitol Square, SW
Atlanta, Ga 3033

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
Mail Stop 801
20th and C Streets NW
Washington, DC 20551

Senator edited
Washington D.C. Office:
416 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

I sent it Monday, and today got a call directly from corporate. They have granted my requests, waived all fees, apologized profusely, and have assigned a specific corporate advocate to help me from here on out.
Even better news (in a press release on Monday), due to the high volume of complaints regarding the outsourcing, they have discontinued that practice, and all reps will be in the US from now on.
More jobs for us! Better customer service.

While it's a good thing to take the complaints to a higher source, posting of others' personal info is a no-no on these forums. In the future, feel free to post links to websites (e.g. like Sallie Mae's, or to your Senator) that contain the personal names, e-mails, phone numbers, etc. Or feel free to PM each other this info. But don't publish this info here. Thanks - llecs, myFICO moderator.

Message Edited by llecs on 08-14-2009 08:35 PM
Message 2 of 10
MIAMI_FL

Thanks for the recommnedation. I will try to do work on letters see if I am successdul as you.

Take care.

Message 3 of 10
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

badspotteddog

Wow, Good for you!!!

I sent you a pm with my email address. My younger brother has issues with SM.

Message Edited by ocheosa on 08-17-2009 12:33 PM
[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello your situation mirrors mines with Sallie Mae Services. I am petitioning my Senator. and would like to use your letter to help my cause. I'm a newbie on this forum and appreciate all the valid information

Thank you so much.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Miami, queenbee, & ocheosa

I just saw your posts today! I guess I don't get emailed when someone replies, but have changed that setting here. I will gladly email privately a copy of my letter to you, but not sure how to get email addresses. 

Let me know, and I'll send it to you

Message 6 of 10
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Hi BSD,

Thank you for your reply. I sent you a private message.

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi badspotteddog,

I am currently in a dispute with Sallie Mae.  My husband graduated in June 2010.  We were supposed to have a 6 month forbearance and were not supposed to start paying until November 2010.  My husband's credit report is currently showing a 60 day late for July 2010.  Could you please send me your letter?  I sent you a private message with my email address. 

Thank you SO much for your help!

Message 8 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi badspotteddog,

I am currently in a dispute with Sallie Mae.  My husband graduated in June 2010.  We were supposed to have a 6 month forbearance and were not supposed to start paying until November 2010.  My husband's credit report is currently showing a 60 day late for July 2010.  Could you please send me your letter?  I sent you a private message with my email address. 

Thank you SO much for your help!

Hi planks0527 amd welcome to the forums.

I just want you to be aware that the poster badspotteddog has not been back online since July 2010  so you might not ever receive an answer.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... I saw that, but I thought I would give it a try.  Thank you though Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.