Established Member
rexbolt

Sallie Mae - Interest Scam? Hidden ways to pay? WTH?

I have a consolidated loan with them (2). They are put together in a group. 1-001 ($16,0000) and 1-002 ($9990).  I want to make a $10,000 payment but only want it to go towards loan #002, hence eliminating it and saving myself some interest $$ in the process. 

So I sit down at my desktop CPU and go to the website. There is no way to do it. Trust me, I looked for literally hours. I have the option to make 1 payment that THEY will decide how to allocate. So I'm like WTH? 

Next step, I call them. Guy on the phone tells me the same thing, we can't only take payment for the 2nd loan, we have to allocate the payment between them both. I ask to speak with a manager, basically gets rude, tells me the same story. 

At this point, I've made no payment. 

About a week later, I had to check something from their site on my cell phone. Obviously, from my cell I was taken to the "mobile version" of the SM website. I get the # I need, but for craps and laughs I click on the payment link. Well..knock me over with a feather, on the mobile version of the site, YOU can split any payment how you wish between the seperate loans!!!!!

My Wallet: Amex BCP $19.5K | BOA Cash Rewards $15K | BOA Better Balance $10K | Cap One Venture $10K | Cap One QS $3K | Chase Freedom $4.5K | Barclay Rewards WMC $5K | Citi Simplicity $8.4K | Discover It! $2K | Huntington Voice $5K | PNC Cash Builder VS $17.5K | Total Rewards VS $12K | Sams Club $7.5K
Frequent Contributor
Pat94108

Re: Sallie Mae - Interest Scam? Hidden ways to pay? WTH?

No surprise to read your story. I heard similar complaints about Sallie Mae. They make things difficult for you. So glad I don't have loans with them. I'd be scared. 

Community Leader<br> Valued Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
SCF

Re: Sallie Mae - Interest Scam? Hidden ways to pay? WTH?

When I started repayment, I had multiple loans in my consolidation with Sallie Mae.  I was able to easily extra payments (any amount over the minimum currently due) through their website.  Given that you were able to find the option on the mobile site, I wonder if the issue was with the browser you were using on your computer?  Not that a company like Sallie Mae shouldn't have a better website, but maybe it only plays nicely with Internet Explorer, or certain versions of other browsers.  They wouldn't be the first company to have that problem.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}