Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Misreporting

tag
moneek33

Sallie Mae Misreporting

I have a question about Sallie Mae, 

How is it that they can report you in a deferment give you the dates of deferment on a letter then put it on your CR as late 30-60 days.  Then when you call they have u on HOLD for 30 min. tell you to fax in your paperwork.  When it's disputed on line they verify it.  I have had it with these cut throats with high interest.  I have been more than patient with them its been 3 years.  I finally spoke with someone and she says we can't change the way it is reported on the credit report regardless of what coverage dates the letter shows.

This is so disheartening and frustrating.  There should be a penalty for companies putting things on your credit an it drops your score significantly. Can anyone help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Misreporting

did you stop paying before you got the deferment paperwork?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's an address for Sallie Mae on this forum the PA address, try sending a letter to them to get it resolved rather then by phone, if you can't find the address call Sallie Mae and ask for the Credit Relations department address. 

I've found that they are not very helpful on the phone nor does the person on the other end care. Sending a letter by mail will at least get there attention and you've got copies of the paperwork so include them.

Message 3 of 11
moneek33

No I made the payment on the the date.

Message 4 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@moneek33 wrote:

Check your PM's moneek33

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 11
sljones3
Established Member

I don't really trust Sallie Mae. I have around $27,000 in loans through them (if I remember right, for some reason I can't check the site at work) and I applied for deferment on the first batch when I started back to school and they sent me a letter denying it but then the website says it's in deferment. I figure as long as I can make payments (I sometimes split a payment into various checks throughout the month to make it less of a blow at any 1 time) I'll be in a better spot. Even if only because I won't have to deal with them as long later on down the road. I never pursued whether it is officially in deferment or not, I just act like it isn't so long as I have the income to cover it. I haven't had any luck when I've needed to talk to them on the phone either. Good luck!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>JM-AM Can you PM me, I've got the same issue?

Message 7 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

>>JM-AM Can you PM me, I've got the same issue?

PM sent

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 8 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

@moneek33 wrote:

did it say it would post on that date?  you know how sometimes you can pay the same day but it won't be applied until the next day or whenever?  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@sljones3 wrote:

I don't really trust Sallie Mae. I have around $27,000 in loans through them (if I remember right, for some reason I can't check the site at work) and I applied for deferment on the first batch when I started back to school and they sent me a letter denying it but then the website says it's in deferment. I figure as long as I can make payments (I sometimes split a payment into various checks throughout the month to make it less of a blow at any 1 time) I'll be in a better spot. Even if only because I won't have to deal with them as long later on down the road. I never pursued whether it is officially in deferment or not, I just act like it isn't so long as I have the income to cover it. I haven't had any luck when I've needed to talk to them on the phone either. Good luck!

Were these federal or private student loans that you are having issues with.  Also, with regard to the payments you are making.  If these are federal loans and since the loans are in deferment, you may want to try to pay off the unsubsidized loans first.  That way, over the long run, you will be paying less interest in total because the government is paying the interest on your subsidized loans.  I wish I had been smart enough to make payments on my student loans while in school.  They sure would have been a lot smaller than they are now.  Hahaha!  But I guess you live and you learn.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.